Break-in Revisited

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Man o man, I'm gonna have to revisit the advice I give about "break in's" on new bikes.

I've got a fairly good background in mechanics, hydrodynamics, fluid flow. But this, this puts the knowledge into play.

I don't know if I have the "Sacajewa" to put a blast to a brand new Gixxer 6 engine but my Tuna makes oil so black you could use it as ink. It has to be due to blow by and picking up carbon in the oil. I bought the bike used so I don't know what the break in was like but it only had 800 miles on it and of course I was gentle with it for the first few thousand.

thanks again for the info

• 1 month later...

I broke in 3 new cbr600rr's in the last year, pushing them from the showroom/warehouse to the dyno and running them in.

The cool part is watching the HP go up with EVERY run as the rings seat in.

My thoughts on owner manual break in recommendations of "gentle" are that you're not only breaking in the motor, but more importantly the brakes, tires, chain and most importantly, adjusting to a new bike.

I buy salvage bikes at insurance auctions. My prize was in 01 when I picked up an R6 with 8 miles on it.

Most of the bikes I pick up are very low miles (under 500), and the ones over 500 ALL have fresh, new tires on them.

If you have the ability to run the bike in on a dyno, I'd say go for it. I will continue to do this, as to me, it just makes sense. Then again, I don't own a bike that hits street pavement either B)

Yea, that is basically what Motoman was saying. "Break in" isn't just mating in the rings, there is a break in period with the pilot as well. I suppose if one could conduct a through pre "blast" inspection and make sure that things are ready for the run then you could do a fairly safe blast break in on the street on some nice straight untraviled tarmac. I would guess that an experianced pilot isn't going to be suprised by a new bike. Yes the clutch may start to catch just a tad sooner, sure that suspention is going to feel "different" but nothing that will dump you in the ditch just from goosin it good a few times in a straight line. Don't slap the throttle open to the stops and hold it there, but a smart acceleration up to red line and 20 or so seconds at the high R's a few times should be able to be accomplished with out undue danger.

Motoman likes to think that the reason for the factory recomendation is the care and consern for the pilots safety (honorable) but there is an evil side to the recomendation as well. If you don't do consistant preventive maintenance you will wear out a power plant sooner if it was broken in using the "gentle" technique. The oil picks up more acids and contaminants from all that blow by on improperly seated rings. More acids and contaminants means more repairs and a sooner transition to an updated modle. All good for the factory and dealer, all bad for the bank account. I've kept mine road worthy for 13 years but the day will come with it will br bones for the bone yard. It would be nice to know that I can put that day off a few more years with the new one with a proper blast break in at the very beginning.

Rman