Lotsa Questions

I plan on attending my first CSS this summer. Since I live in Houston I have no choice but to hop on a plane and fly. I might as well go to California (I heard it's nice out there ;) ). Which track should I go to? Secondly, I want to do levels 1 and 2 back to back-this would be two full days if I understand correctly. The price is $595-does that cover both days? Thanks for your time...Dave

Laguna is really nice and flows nicely, Sears is tough, as it changes up a lot, and the Streets of Willow will make your legs burn after being on the track a few hours, there are that many turns with no time to rest. If you aren't is great shape and have really strong legs, the Streets will kick your butt. Especially if you try and do back to back days.

You typically get one level done per day. At the two day camps because of the amount of track time you get, you may actually get 1.5 levels done per day, but I don't know what the official word from the school is on that.

I'm not a CSS employee but... the $595 is for one day on a school bike. The only price quote that includes two days are the ones for two day camps, which also happen to include the bike rental.

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone talk about the track at Pocono? I have read about Laguna, The Streets which has helped as I was planning goint to the 2-day camp at The Streets but from what I read it may be too much for me as its my first time on the track.

I'm coming from Boston so I would be able to drive to the Pocono track, to tell you the truth I am more concerned about getting rained out at that time of year, you know that won't happen in CA!

Any advice and suggestions would be helpful!

Thanks,

Fred

Fred,

I have been to Pocono a half dozen times in the past two seasons and had to deal with rain only once. When the School goes to Pocono, it typically sets up on the East Course which is 1.7 miles long and has (I think) 11 turns, eight of which are lefts. The good news is that there is plenty of run off space with almost no obstructions to worry about - but that also means that there are fewer reference points to work with until they set the turn in points.

When I was at Pocono with the School last May, Keith ran the East Course unchanged. When I returned there in August, Keith added a chicane at the end of the long straight (the only portion of the NASCAR Tri-Oval included in the East Course set up). IMHO, this modification was a real plus as it added one more cornering opportunity and by where it was placed, it required more entry speed discipline of those riders who liked to run down this straight WFO.

The infield portions of the track are not as smooth as Watkins Glen but it is managable. Regardless, the layout is such that you will be very active every portion of every lap. Also, with a shorter course like this, you will run more laps than at a Watkins Glen (2.45 mi.) so you will learn the layout sooner allowing you to focus more on cornering and less on "where am I?" while you're out there. It is a tight, flat, technical course that will challange you without intimidating you. It's really a fun place to ride.

Anyway, that's one rider's perspective.

Kevin Kane