Ninja Zx-10r 2004 Or Suzuki Gsrr-1000 2004?

just be reading review about top 1000cc bikes, seems as though r1 is top choice for road+track followed by blade gsxr and zx10r, whatever you buy is going to be an exceptional piece of kit.

mixed reviews but blade seems to come out as ordinary does everything so well that it feels bland. the zx10r seems better with exciting to ride fast

pin sharp handling etc... all the bikes will be amazing and unless your a pro rider it comes down to marginal differences. For me it would be r1/zx10r but they all have there own character and buy what suits you, and your pocket.

And remember if you don't get some css lessons all your have is a fast bike, not fast/safe rider.

all the best

Hellon2wheels

Call me old fashioned here but if you are a first time rider and you are looking at those kind of bikes you may not be doing yourself a favour. I guess it depends on what 'first time rider' means but if, for example, you wouldn't feel very comfortable on an R1, accelerating braking as hard as the bike will go,even in a straight line, then that might not be the bike for you. I use that suggestion as a yardstick.

If you mean you can just about work the controls safely and could get through the city OK but are looking for some extra speed on the track then you would be waayyyyyyyyy beter going with a smaller, more manageable bike to get the basics nailed. I don't think there would be too much dissent with me suggesting a Suzuki SV 650, or similar hardware. Cheap, available and easier to live with- and more forgiving. And lots of racers use them- no slouch for sure.

And when you have tried the thing, got to be able to use it well, then a ZX-636 or R6 represents the next sensible step. I have an R1 and an R6 and gave up using the R1 on the track a few years ago. It's much less fun, and slower, than the R6 for track stuff. It's too much to enjoy, frankly. If you just want to out-drag 600s then that's another story!

Look around- try a few- then decide- try the school's 600's!!- you'll find them to be more than adequate- and they are in essentially stock trim.

All the best JR

• 3 months later...

You know, this first post doesn't have to be a troll. Most of the folks I know have a story about some fellow who goes to a dealer and buys some rocket. Shucks, I helped a fellow load his new Softail Deuce on his truck - and that was HIS first bike - for thirty grand! He fell over idling around on the grass in his front yard. Bummer.

Anyway. It only takes one trip to a track to find out that just a surely as $15K and 50 miles doesn't make you a Hell's Angel, a check from your credit union can't make you Mat Mladin or Eric Bostrum or... (name awesome fast guy here).

In fact, I have had the immense satisfaction of seeing a loud Hayabusa fan shut up after taking his rocket to Loudon, for lessons with Eric Wood. See, he got passed by guys on EX500 Kawasakis...

...just as the man on a ZX-10, R1 or GSXR will get passed by any of Keith's staff - on 600s.

If you really don't know about throttle control, you will hurt yourself on the track with an opn-class bike, It happens all the time.

I've already proven to myself how slow I am. I have nothing left to prove, and everything yet to learn. I hope you can learn and attend one of these classes first, using a school bike.

Hi,

Take it all on board. Dirt riding is a very good start then 250 to 600 and finally 1000s.

Going to the question you first posted and talking strictly street trim I found the R1 to be the easiest to ride the fastest of all 4 bikes. The Honda was bottom of the list. That steering damper needs throwing in the bin! Trying to flick the bike through Esses it would tigten up! As did my arse! :D

I sell motorcycles for a living and see this everyday.

Do not... I repeat, DO NOT buy a liter bike for your first bike my friend. You are flirting with disaster. All of the current 600's will do 150+ and quarter miles in the 12's with an average rider.

Best case, you don't crash and never become any better of a rider due to the fact you are always spending your attention on throttle control and none on any of the other actions of riding your motorcycle.

fwiw, i started in the dirt, went to 750s for 10 years got a 1000, went racing...my choice in bikes for the track has gone the reverse direction since then. i'm now contemplating a 600 after 1000, 996, 750.

i did well on those bikes but, not having to spend too much thought on throttle control upon exiting allows more freedom of thought for nailing down other important issues...not to mention, i'm less likely to throw it away due to a bonehead right hand indiscretion.

it's difficult to be precise with a sledgehammer. :D

it's difficult to be precise with a sledgehammer. :D

AMEN!

All a liter bike will do is get you in trouble quicker. A 600 is extremely forgiving, and on most tracks is more than competitive against a 1000. And if you're on the street, there's nothing better than sailing past some boob on his 180BHP bike who throws anchor for every corner...

All straights are is time spent between the corners...

And for picking a first bike, consider this which I wrote a few years back after receiving the question for the millionth time.

http://www.cbr600f4.com/secondary_pages/what_bike.htm