Race Report

Hi All

I had another great weekend at the WSMC winning all five of my races and walking away holding the club points lead. I started the weekend with the worst case scenario for me having worked at Laguna Seca Thursday and Friday then driving back and finally getting home at 3 am Saturday morning. I went to the track with three hours of sleep and new suspension on both ends with no settings. Being ragged out from driving and trying to think and ride well enough to find the set-up was a daunting task. I got down to 1:25.1 on Saturday after three sessions and I was just too tired to go any faster.

On Sunday morning I felt good and was ready to ride. Practice went well and I was ready to race.

My first race was 750 MP and I got off in fourth and was up to second going through turn two behind Sky Girard. I could have gotten by him but decided to follow and let him set the pace. Going into one at the start of the third lap Curtis Adams came by going into one and I decided it was time to go. I drafted him down the straight as best I could and waited for him to shut off. I dove by Adams going into one and got Girard at the exit. I put my head down and pulled out a lead for the win.

Second up was F-40 and as I was on the pre grid I saw Mark Watts on his RC30 and thought it would be a snooze of a race. The only other rider being close was Ulrich and he has gone to F-50. At the start Sam Carnabucci got off in the lead and I decided to follow him. He was going good and on the third lap going through turn eight he tucked the front about two bike lengths in front of me and was down. What happened next was the scariest racing moment ever for me. His bike high centered and the rear came around, as soon as the bike was sideways it hooked up and highsided itself into a barrel roll. I was too close, in his draft in fact at 140 mph. And when the bike rolled I got sucked into its draft and went wide into the debris field and hit a couple pieces of his bike narrowly missing bike by a foot or two. I came back around and he was up and walking so I continued on with no red flag to the win.

The third race was the one for me. I have a second and a third in 650 SB this year behind Chris Siglin and Marc Palazzo. And last month Siglin didnt race but attended and told me that having just attended Spencers school he would have something for me in March. I got a good start and was in second behind Siglin with Palazzo third on the first lap. I took the lead into three on the second lap started doing 1:22s and pulling away from the battle for second. My last lap was my best of the day at 1:22.3 and in fact a personal best and a mere four tenths off the pro record of 1:21.9.

Fourth was 750 SS and Siglin decided to run in it I guess to beat me. He has the team Suzuki 750 he won last year in the talent search and it is fast! I knew I would have to go from the flag and did. Doing consistent 1:22s on DOTs and pulling away for a wire to wire win. My best lap at 1:22.5.

My last race was F-2 and Palazzo wanted to beat me bad. I got off in the lead and put down three good laps in the 22s and pulled out, but the tires had one race on them already and it was hot 89 degrees. I took it down a notch and kept an eye on his crew. I could see them getting excited and I knew he was there. He came past into one on the sixth lap and I followed him. Taking the white flag and then the lead into one and putting down the best lap I could and coming up about three bike lengths in front for the win!

Will Eikenberry WSMC # 87 CCS Pacific # 63

Thanks to all who helped me, Keith Code and the California Superbike School, Kawasaki, Dunlop, Silkolene, AGV Sports, KBC Helmets, Lockhart Phillips, Sharkskinz, Elka Shocks, GP Suspension, Factory Pro Tuning, Graves Motorsports, Mackie's, L&L Motorsports, Yin's TKD, Stompgrip.