My Set Up....?

Hi all, Mark here.

Some back ground on me.

I ride my gsx-r1000 on the street and track. I've done three track days and CSS level 1 at Streets-o'-Willow.

I got my bike in August of 08 as part of a project I set about doing. Specifically, to learn how to ride a sportbike, hang off, and go fast around corners, overcome some apprehension about lean angle, and stop counterbalancing my turns, i.e., pushing the bike under me, dirt bike style while riding twisties. I am generally a pretty good rider.

I've read everything three times and taken notes.

I LOVE my gsxr.

Here is my situation/question.

When I got the bike I set up the sag as per recommended best practices. For starters I set the suspension at the mid-points with regard to compression and rebound dampning (fast and slow). I weigh about 200 suited up.

I've had no complaints with that set up on the street.

When I go to the track I set my air pressure and here is the big change.....

I add 2 clicks, (1/2 turn) to each compression setting, and put a tie wrap on the fork to check for max compression used. That's it!

I've never felt like I ever have felt control, or traction problems. I ride at a mid "B" pace and have never scared myself. I have to go to work the next day so I ride with a certain amount of conservatism, and the bike is showroom stock, sans license plate holder, and frame sliders.

I'm happy with the set up, but understand that different tracks and conditions may very well dictate slight changes.

Seems almost too easy. I don't have enough experience to evaluate feedback and grip as it relates to traction and suspension. I'm not sure if I'm missing the holy grail or not.

What are common faults of nOObs like me in this area?

I understand that I could just start dialing things away from my settings in a controlled way and recording the changes in feelings I get from the bike, and I'm willing to do that just to learn the out come, (some of the best lessons I've learned in life have come from making mistakes, paying the consequences, then refining until I found improvement)

but I'd like to shorten the learning curve by listening to those with more experience.

Sound vague? It feels vague! (not the bike. just my explanation)

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mark

This is an interesting topic, and one that whever you go no one seems inerested in talking about, you can pay guys at the track to sort out your sag and give you the settings that he thinks you need, this is probably an excellent starting point, but its not very realistic that you would pay a guy at every track you go to for a setup, also getting a couple of mates to help you set sag is a much cheaper option!

The internet, thats where you will find loads of information on the subject. For starters both the Ohlins and WP websites have ace setup sheets, including problems and remedies!

http://www.wpsuspension.co.uk/setup.php

http://www.ohlins.com/Checkpoint-Ohlins/Se.../Underrubrik_1/

OK so both of these links are based specifically for WP or Ohlins but the rules are the same whatever components you have!

Trying to educate yourself on suspension setup is definitely the way to go and it can be a tough subject to read about, I have an avid interest in it but have not as yet had the confidence to mess about with it too much, only because I dont have anyone to tell me whether what I'm doing is right or wrong. I have just bought a WP race shock for the rear and K-Tech internal's for the front end of my bike so next season I will be making sure I know what I'm doing and hopefully self teach myself how to feel for exactly what changes are required!

My favourite site on the subject is Dave Moss's site

http://www.feelthetrack.com/

They have free data sheets for you to download to record the changes you make, these are a must if you want to go back to familiar settings at any time! They also cover tyre reading, which can tell you what changes to make due to the way your tyres are wearing! All the info you need is on that site!

Hope some of this helps and let us know how you get on!

Bobby

Hi Mark

Trying to educate yourself on suspension setup is definitely the way to go and it can be a tough subject to read about, I have an avid interest in it but have not as yet had the confidence to mess about with it too much, only because I dont have anyone to tell me whether what I'm doing is right or wrong. I have just bought a WP race shock for the rear and K-Tech internal's for the front end of my bike so next season I will be making sure I know what I'm doing and hopefully self teach myself how to feel for exactly what changes are required!

They have free data sheets for you to download to record the changes you make, these are a must if you want to go back to familiar settings at any time! They also cover tyre reading, which can tell you what changes to make due to the way your tyres are wearing! All the info you need is on that site!

Bobby

Bobby,

Thanks for the feedback. Good info.

I have studied all that Code has written, and Andrew Trevitt's Sportbike Suspension Tuning, Which I think was great.

Sag has all been set, and I'm happy with it. I'm pretty much happy with the bike. Seemed too simple. I'm sure as I push the bike harder that weaknesses will become apparent, but so for this has not been the case.

When that happens I'll just have to start experimenting. And, I'll learn more at that time. Additionally, input from a pro suspension tuner will be more valuable to me. But, I will insist of course that I understand the reason for any recommended changes, as opposed to just taking a "he said it, I'll just do it" approach.

Thanks again,

Mark

Hi Mark

Bobby

Bobby,

Thanks for the feedback. Good info.

I have studied all that Code has written, and Andrew Trevitt's Sportbike Suspension Tuning, Which I think was great.

Sag has all been set, and I'm happy with it. I'm pretty much happy with the bike. Seemed too simple. I'm sure as I push the bike harder that weaknesses will become apparent, but so for this has not been the case.

When that happens I'll just have to start experimenting. And, I'll learn more at that time. Additionally, input from a pro suspension tuner will be more valuable to me. But, I will insist of course that I understand the reason for any recommended changes, as opposed to just taking a "he said it, I'll just do it" approach.

Thanks again,

Mark

Hi Mark

Perhaps you have been lucky and dialed in the perfect setup right away, maybe while you have it set so well would be a good time to do as Keith says and wind down one thing at a time and take notes on how it feels, that way when you pick up the pace if something is needing adjusted you will recognise the feeling and know exactly what adjust!

Hmm come to think of it that sounds too simple, but worth a try!

Bobby