Drive Out Of Corners And Feel

Progression

Hi all,

Just a quick (initially!) couple of questions, but has anyone found any way (other than practice practice practice) to improve feel coming out of a corner?

I'll be back to CSS for L2 this year, but having disected my riding think I am struggling with relating my throttle hand with the back tyre and having a good amount of feel for the conenction between the two.

At a wet trackday last year running normal sport/track tyres I did have a couple of good sessions and getting better and better drive out of the corners I eventually thought I could feel a slight vibration on the rear tyre which was the point I felt couldnt put any more throttle on. This felt like a very slight vibration rather than a sideways movement.

My questions are 1. Has anyone felt anything similar and could this be a rear tyre movement or prehaps some other issue with my riding? 2. Any tips for improving a riders 'feel' on the throttle?

Any info you can point me in the direction of will be much appreciated

Hi all,

Just a quick (initially!) couple of questions, but has anyone found any way (other than practice practice practice) to improve feel coming out of a corner?

I'll be back to CSS for L2 this year, but having disected my riding think I am struggling with relating my throttle hand with the back tyre and having a good amount of feel for the conenction between the two.

At a wet trackday last year running normal sport/track tyres I did have a couple of good sessions and getting better and better drive out of the corners I eventually thought I could feel a slight vibration on the rear tyre which was the point I felt couldnt put any more throttle on. This felt like a very slight vibration rather than a sideways movement.

My questions are 1. Has anyone felt anything similar and could this be a rear tyre movement or prehaps some other issue with my riding? 2. Any tips for improving a riders 'feel' on the throttle?

Any info you can point me in the direction of will be much appreciated

Couple of immediate questions. From your level 1 drill, what do you think would enable you to get the best feel you can from a bike? Secondly, when you're talking about driving the bike, was the bike straight upright, leaned over at all? At what point was this sensation you talked about?

Bullet

The rider input drill, having a relaxed light control on the grips will lead to the best feedback from the bike. ####! Why is it immediately apparent when you ask me that question!

The sensation I talked about was as the bike was coming back upright, towards the end of the corner with little or no lean angle at all the bike being 90% or more upright

Thanks Bullet

The rider input drill, having a relaxed light control on the grips will lead to the best feedback from the bike. ####! Why is it immediately apparent when you ask me that question!

The sensation I talked about was as the bike was coming back upright, towards the end of the corner with little or no lean angle at all the bike being 90% or more upright

Thanks Bullet

Ok, no problem. :-)

You'll generalyl note if the bike is upright, you'll just start to here the revs raise as the bike spins and begins to loose traction, if it's leaned over, you'll probably feel the bike kick out sideways a little and what else do you think you might notice when the bike does this..? (related to your first observation).

Bullet

I don't get the vibration in the rear. Is it the tire kicking out? That's the only thing I think would cause that sensation. If that was it, you've reached the limits of your tire/suspension my friend. If you haven't done level two, look into the pick up drill. If you have, do you think that could be a resolution?

Vibration as the tyre is spinning up?

So if the rear tyre is starting to slide (it will normally slide to the outside of the turn would we agree?) So what would happen to the front of the bike, what might you feel in the bars?

Bullet

If the rear is sliding and I have lean angle on, yes I agree it will be pushing out to the outside of the turn. I didnt feel it, but the weight will shift back towards the front of the bike, back from the ideal 60:40 from my roll on point.

Jasonzilla - Thanks for the input. I've only done L1 so far, but will be back shortly for L2.

Jaybird - Thanks also, but given the standard of my riding I think its more a rider error than bike fault!

If the rear is sliding and I have lean angle on, yes I agree it will be pushing out to the outside of the turn. I didnt feel it, but the weight will shift back towards the front of the bike, back from the ideal 60:40 from my roll on point.

Jasonzilla - Thanks for the input. I've only done L1 so far, but will be back shortly for L2.

Jaybird - Thanks also, but given the standard of my riding I think its more a rider error than bike fault!

Ok, the first bit we have consenus on, the later part I'm afraid isn't right. You'll only get a weight transfer back if you chop the throttle.

What you will feel is as the bike starts to slide sideways the front wheel stays heading in the same direction as it was going, and naturally starts to turn into the slide. So, what you'll feel is the bars will start to turn around the headstock of the bike, so if you're in a right hand turn, the bike starts to slide, the bars will feel as though they'll point to the left a little bit.

Bullet

ah - of course. I was thinking more about the bike being upright.

If the tyre keeps sliding and the bike starts pivoting round the headstock = disaster

Think I might not bother swapping to wets next time it rains on track and go train myself to be smoother and try and concentrate more on the movement of the bike

Thanks Mr Bullet