General Questions

Hi im new here. im nearly 18 years old and i want to attend the supperbike school at brands hatch. i was just wondering if i would be allowed to. im still on a provisional licsence and i have been riding for a year and a half. i ride a yamaha yzf r125 but would like to hire one of the r6. i was just wondering if they would let me do this course.

thanking you in advance :)

Hi Alex,

Thanks for your question.

To be honest, I'm not exactly sure if you can or not, but if you ring into the office on Monday, and speak to Lynn/Donna or Corinna, they'd be able to advise you on the exact specifics.

Our R6's are full power models though, and you'd definietly need a full licence to ride one of those.

Bullet

thats a shame. i really want to ride an R6 as im getting tired of my 125's lack of power. im probably doing my test soon once i get a new front fairing for my bike after a women pulled out on me :( . thanks for youre quick reply :)

No problem, you just happened to catch me online. ;)

Stay safe mate!

Bullet

another quick question

would it be alright if i used my little 125 on the track?

thanks

I would think so yeah. You'd have to check, but I've seen small bikes at the school before. i think the licence issue is the bigger issue.

Bullet

good and bad news then.

il have to get my test booked in soon then as im dying to get on a track so i can safely get to grips with cornering.

the only thing is, im not very confidante with the U-turn as my bike always feels as if the tyres will slip away from me. its a bit silly as i have to perform one every day but i start of on the road and end up on the pavement as i have to get my bike into my backgarden.

and do you think i would be able to do my test without any training, or would training be recomended?

thanks

alex

good and bad news then.

il have to get my test booked in soon then as im dying to get on a track so i can safely get to grips with cornering.

the only thing is, im not very confidante with the U-turn as my bike always feels as if the tyres will slip away from me. its a bit silly as i have to perform one every day but i start of on the road and end up on the pavement as i have to get my bike into my backgarden.

and do you think i would be able to do my test without any training, or would training be recomended?

thanks

alex

I found the secret to doing the U turn was to drag a little rear brake, (stabilises the bike), and just lean a little bit in the opposite way to the bike is going. so if you're going sharp round to the right, just lean a little bie off to the left.

Yeah, I'd definitely reccomend you do your Direct Access or whatever it's called these days with a school. They'll help you iron out your riding issues and understanding to pass the test. Once you've done that, you can come to the school and learn to ride around corners. ;)

Bullet

thanks for your replies and patience with all my questions :P

is there a specific training course for me to do as i cant do the direct access course till im 21 and if i pass my test this year that will be no use to me.

thanks

alex

Hi mate,

I'm really sorry, i don't know about road riding courses in the UK, sorry. been a few years since I passed my test, and I stopped riding on the road some years ago.

I'm sure if you contacted your local riding/training school, I'm sure they'd be able to advise you.

Bullet

Hey Alex, how'd you go with Bullet's suggestion of dragging the rear brake for U turns? Notice how stable the bike instantly becomes? Did you then find it easier to just leave the rev's up high (esp on your 125) and control your speed in the U turn using foot pressure instead of balancing tiny throttle and clutch movements?

Keen to hear how your practise went on this.

Cheers

Jason

Go on google and type in directgov. They have a section on motoring and another section in that which tells you what you're allowed to drive/ ride

Link: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Drive...ions/DG_4022547

Awesome Alex, thanks.