Trackday After Crash

I've just booked a trackday this friday. I had crash in January at the same track, different configuration though, so I won't be running through "the corner" this time.

I did the CSS level two after the crash on a rental bike, but I'm still a bit nervous to go on the track.

I notice that I keep on thinking quite many things like tyre pressures, suspension settings (which are now very different than the settings I had when I crashed), applying the school techniques etc etc. But the biggest thought is that "is this really a good idea?". I believe the crash is haunting me on this.

Since I got my bike back and I've had one longer ride on it. What I noticed during the trip is that I'm facing the SRs that CSS is training to control. Thanks to CSS I can now identify some of them ( stiff on the bars, target fixation, on/off the gas ).

I am going to the track for few reasons (well, I like to think so):

- To get back on the saddle, so to say. Battle the ghost of past :)

- safe environment to practice some of the CSS drills

- get better feel of the new suspension settings

Now that I've said my thoughts out loud, I cannot wait till friday :)

Hi Raakile,

Great move to "get back on the horse"!!!! Some riders don't, good on you!!!!

Since you've done L1 and L2, you may recall an underlying theme that might help in your ability to overcome these newfound fears post crash.

Did you notice that the bike is quite a stable machine when left alone? Motorcycles (bar mechanical problems) can be counted on doing the EXACT same thing, over and over again - every lap, every corner.

So if we crash would it pay to consider what we asked the motorcycle to do? Looking at the reason for the crash will help you understand what didn't work! That's only half the picture though...

What about the fear in the back of your mind about that same thing happening again... think about this; if you are the one in control of the motorcycle, and are now armed with WHY the motorcycle crashed. Do you think you'll have a half decent chance of avoiding a crash come Friday.... do you think you'd have a high chance of actually enjoying the experience of riding on a track again :)

So, back to the crash, have a think, see if you can work out what the actual cause was... feel free to post up your thoughts, some here are great at assisting people in finding answers to their own questions.

Hi Raakile,

Great move to "get back on the horse"!!!! Some riders don't, good on you!!!!

Since you've done L1 and L2, you may recall an underlying theme that might help in your ability to overcome these newfound fears post crash.

Did you notice that the bike is quite a stable machine when left alone? Motorcycles (bar mechanical problems) can be counted on doing the EXACT same thing, over and over again - every lap, every corner.

So if we crash would it pay to consider what we asked the motorcycle to do? Looking at the reason for the crash will help you understand what didn't work! That's only half the picture though...

What about the fear in the back of your mind about that same thing happening again... think about this; if you are the one in control of the motorcycle, and are now armed with WHY the motorcycle crashed. Do you think you'll have a half decent chance of avoiding a crash come Friday.... do you think you'd have a high chance of actually enjoying the experience of riding on a track again :)

So, back to the crash, have a think, see if you can work out what the actual cause was... feel free to post up your thoughts, some here are great at assisting people in finding answers to their own questions.

Great advice from Jason. ;)

Essentially to advance and forget we need to understand, make a change, and move on.

I myself have just returned to riding after a big smash last year, a shattered shoulder and surgery and pins. I can assure you that not once, not even for a second, did my accident cross my mind and this was only the case because I know what happened, what I'd do differently this time.

Just take your time, don't try and rush to get back to exactly where you were, but just concentrate on your drills, being smooth, and you'll very much soon just forget all about it.

Bullet

• 3 weeks later...

It's been time since the original post, but coming back now..

I did go through the crash in my mind for some time, but as time goes on mind starts to forget things..

I also saw a video about the crash, not very good one, but still enough to tell how it all went after all.

Based on the video and and my memory, I analyzed the crash (issues that lead to it and what contributed to it, but as I'm not a pro I still doubt).

This time all went fine, I was tiny little bit nervous in the beginning, but doing the basic drills from level 1 helped to relax.

As it was quite hot, I ended up finishing sessions early to add rest time and to avoid getting tired.

So, I did 3 sessions out of 4, thinking that I was already pushing the limits (of self control ;) ), but now that I think of it I believe I was simply losing focus and getting carried away with the good feeling.

Anyway, I had fun and I was able to overcome some of the stuff that I was worrying about. Now, I think I'll wait until the cooler weather comes back (October) until I'm going for the next session.

I did go through the crash in my mind for some time, but as time goes on mind starts to forget things..

I also saw a video about the crash, not very good one, but still enough to tell how it all went after all.

Based on the video and and my memory, I analyzed the crash (issues that lead to it and what contributed to it, but as I'm not a pro I still doubt).

This time all went fine, I was tiny little bit nervous in the beginning, but doing the basic drills from level 1 helped to relax.

As it was quite hot, I ended up finishing sessions early to add rest time and to avoid getting tired.

So, I did 3 sessions out of 4, thinking that I was already pushing the limits (of self control ;) ), but now that I think of it I believe I was simply losing focus and getting carried away with the good feeling.

Anyway, I had fun and I was able to overcome some of the stuff that I was worrying about. Now, I think I'll wait until the cooler weather comes back (October) until I'm going for the next session.

Well done man, glad you enjoyed it. Keep working on it, keep relaxed, and you'll be back to where you were in no time!

Enjoy, keep us posted.

Bullet

Glad to hear you enjoyed yourself, what track were you riding?

• 4 weeks later...