Anyone Used Electronic Tire Pressure Sensors?

I've had my tires lose pressure and performance many times over the years. I've tried those spin-on plastic go-no-go valve stem covers and didn't like them. Checking tire pressure by hand is awkward, dirty and gives me unreliable readings. Has anyone used the TireGard electronic system with the little sensors on the valve stems and a read out on the key ring? It is pricey at $150, but so is a crash caused by squishy tires. Any other suggestions for an easy, simple, reliable way to keep my tires inflated properly without getting my hands dirty?

http://garage-toys.com/tireminder.html

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/product/5920/Motorcycle_Tire_Gauges_And_Pyrometers1?gclid=CKzY6sys1qECFUda2godqz0-Mg

Any other suggestions for an easy, simple, reliable way to keep my tires inflated properly without getting my hands dirty?

Crash;

I use disposable vinyl gloves that I buy in the pharmacy or supermarket for almost anything I do on the bikes. They are inexpensive and very thin so I can pick up a washer flat on the ground and my hands stay clean. As for relying on tire pressure however, I use a good, reliable tire gauge and check pressures before I go out to ride.

Rainman

Seems it's difficult to avoid brake dust on the wheels but switching to organic brake pads will reduce it a lot. But a word of warning, under extremely wet conditions, organic pads don't bite so well right away when soaked. Granted I never ride in such conditions but I'm sure someone does.

Seems like the electronic monitoring is a bit pricy for what it is. I treat tire pressure checks as part of my 'pre-flight inspection'. A quick walk around taking a peak at fluid levels, are screws secure, anything leaking (oil, forks, shock..etc), anything crawled into the exhaust over night...not only assures a safer ride, creates the perception of safer ride to come. Granted, I'm quite used to doing these sorts of things on aircraft being a pilot, but I also use it as a mental preparation time for the coming ride (or flight).

I generally use a little $8 digital tester which seems to be relatively accurate, but that's an entirely different dialog...accuracy?!? ;)

• 2 weeks later...

If you don't have the 90 degree right angle valve stems, get them. The point the valve away from the rotors and make it much easier/cleaner to check the pressures.

These are the valve stems I have

A quick note on the inexpensive tyre pressure monitoring systems: They are often designed to check to punctures and not really provide the type of pressure information that your average track day enthusiast would want. Often times they are only accurate to +/- 2PSI which might head off the big problems, but you're probably better off with a good gauge when you are at the track.

If you don't have the 90 degree right angle valve stems, get them. The point the valve away from the rotors and make it much easier/cleaner to check the pressures.

These are the valve stems I have

Those are awesome! I discovered those not long ago and planning on going to them when switching out rubber. Didn't realize they came in pretty colors too! B)