How Much Steering Lock Do You Need

OK this must seem like a weird question but I have been rebuilding my trackbike and have fitted a race fairing mount, this is the first time I have used one of these and I have noticed it has lockstops on it that seriously restrict the steering lock compaired to the standard road mount! Now I know you dont need so much lock on a trackbike but just how much do you need, and why do the manufacturer's of these mounts do this?

Bobby

OK this must seem like a weird question but I have been rebuilding my trackbike and have fitted a race fairing mount, this is the first time I have used one of these and I have noticed it has lockstops on it that seriously restrict the steering lock compaired to the standard road mount! Now I know you dont need so much lock on a trackbike but just how much do you need, and why do the manufacturer's of these mounts do this?

Bobby

Hi Bobby,

I'd say as long as you have 4 inches of movement in either direction, that's about enough. The reason they do is to try and stop the bars smashing into the tanks in a fall, (should such a thing ever happen).. rolleyes.gif

Bullet

Bobby

Hi Bobby,

I'd say as long as you have 4 inches of movement in either direction, that's about enough. The reason they do is to try and stop the bars smashing into the tanks in a fall, (should such a thing ever happen).. rolleyes.gif

Bullet

Thanks for the quick reply Bullet, that makes sense to me, hopefully no more falls in the foreseeable future though, dont know if my bones or my wallet can take it!

Bobby