The Bike And The Rider

I'm relativly new to riding. I have had a 93 ZX-7 for about a year now (put about 7,000 miles on it). I got it because it was cheap and I was told it could be a good learner. I am now considering getting a new bike. Currently my budget could probably afford up to a $7,000 or $8,000 bike. My question is: Is there a bike that I should be looking for with my skill level and size? As far as my skill level goes I would consider myself below average to average (average being very generous) to most of you guys. I love taking corners fast and I push myself everytime I go into one. As far as my size. I'm about 6'2" and 240 lbs. Is there a particular bike size I should be looking at for my new one?

Thanks for any comments

Green Knight

Personally, I wouldn't find a ZX7 as a good learner bike but since you've survived on one, congratulations! Try not to push yourself too hard in corners without the proper training or more experience, the streets are dangersous!

At any rate to answer your question if you've managed on the ZX7 for a year now I'm sure that you'll do just fine on one of the current 600 supersports. Try the new 636, it's a great bike and probably somewhere close to your budget. If you can pick up a used one from 2003 then that would be great and will leave you with some cash for the school!

Frankly, the new 600's will be a lot more powerful than you might think - just in case you're wondering why I would even suggest you move down to a 600 (or 636) from the ZX7.

Good luck and let us know what you decide to go with.

• 2 weeks later...