Silvertone National - Track Day

Anyone gonna get the last bit of sun before winter???

I will be there!!!

Sorry mate, no, we're going to Angelsey this weekend instead. Weather looks good.

You done the track before?

Bullet

I will be there!!!

Sorry mate, no, we're going to Angelsey this weekend instead. Weather looks good.

Bullet

Not done Anglesey, nor Silverstone, apart from Stowe for my Level 1, 2 years ago (old config.) Looks like fun for a practice session... Wide, not TOO fast... I was really hoping for the GP circuit though!!!

Anglesey too far for me, bro!!!

My mechanic and riding friend who took us to Nurburgring in Germany thinks that Anglesey is the best track in UK... Looks like a blast on TV!!!

Are you all healed up now then Bullet?? 110%??? ;)

I will be there!!!

Bullet

Not done Anglesey, nor Silverstone, apart from Stowe for my Level 1, 2 years ago (old config.) Looks like fun for a practice session... Wide, not TOO fast... I was really hoping for the GP circuit though!!!

Anglesey too far for me, bro!!!

My mechanic and riding friend who took us to Nurburgring in Germany thinks that Anglesey is the best track in UK... Looks like a blast on TV!!!

Are you all healed up now then Bullet?? 110%??? wink.gif

Angelsey is a great circuit, though, and it's a big though, is a bloody long way from most people, (it's 2 hours from Manchester where I live), and the facilities are, well terrible. The tracks great though, very challenging.

Am I all healed, yeah, shoulders ok mate, big plate in it still and it's not great in leathers because the plate rubs as it sticks out so far, but no problems beyond that.

Have a good day man, I've got man flu and probably won't be going now. sad.gif

Bullet

Well, my track day is over, missed last two sessions helping my friend fix his bike after a low side breaking off his master cylinder when the bike flipped after sliding into the grass!!! (Says he is now ready for Superbike School as he realises his technique needs work)

I have mixed emotions about it. I found the track was good, easy to learn, but a bit bumpy, which is not good for my lean angle confidence...

I worked on Vision, I tried and tried, and I guess it helped a bit (After the first session, I no longer ran onto the rumble strip on the Start/Finish straight, touch the dirt, head shake myself back onto the track - whew!!!)

Some of those corners go on FOREVER!!! Almost every lap, I would be looking through the corner as much as possible, and then realise that I could look even a bit further... But almost always a little too late. I think it is because I am really not used to long corners like that, but I put in the effort.

I am getting the bike over nice and quickly, but I am just not going that quickly!!! hahaha... I feel slow and it is a bit frustrating... At one time I picked a corner and gradually increased my entry speed through it, lap by lap, got a bit more lean angle as a result (basically to the point where I have JUST gotten rid of the chicken strips on the right side (I don't care about chicken strips but I have been using that as a gauge as to how much tyre there is left to lean on) More like shredded rubber is all the way to the edge of the tyre... I am feeling like there is nothing more to get, push my knee as far as I can for a bit... Nothing... And there goes some guy around the outside of me, looking like his bike is horizontal!!!!

I need a video chase cam or something, cuz I feel like I am WAY hanging off, and my friend is telling me that I am not hanging off so much...

I need to revisit throttle control maybe, because ever since level 2 and 3 at Brands Hatch, my throttle control is great, EXCEPT for long tight corners like Druids, or like Luffield in Silverstone...

I KNOW that I need to roll it on. I know it will make the bike run a predictable line. I am just so unfamiliar with the sensations of leaning even 1 degree lower than I am accustomed to that I hesitate on the roll on until I see the end of the corner... By then it is kinda too late, and I am going really slow with a long straight ahead of me... OR I nearly go wide at the exit, as above...

When I lean to that steep angle (steep for me!!) the rear tyre feels almost notchy against the tarmac (for want of a better term). Maybe that is a normal feeling of the edge of the tyre, but I can't really push through that barrier... I think I also have in my mind that I am on Sport Touring tyres (BT 021) and that I am not as confident as I could be than if I was on proper sport tyres... Also, I don't really want to crash my road bike, so that is on my mind too I guess...

It is frustrating me though. I need the lean bike, and the slide bike to really explore this in a safe way, But as far as I know you do not offer that in school in the UK.

I fear I will eventually crash trying to explore lean angle limits... the only way I have figured out to increase my lean angle is to go into the corners faster... Cuz if I do not explore the limits, then I will just always be an OK rider, and not a good one. I can't really figure out any other way of exploring this until I eventually crash...

I feel like I am the driver of a car with my hands glued to the steering wheel, I cannot utilise the full potential of the vehicle, and can only steer it less than 100% of it's possible turning ability.

Boy O Boy It's gonna be a LOOOONG winter........