Hello From Brittany, France

:D Hello folks. I'm a 38 old South African residing in Brittany, France since 2001. I'm very passionate about motorcycles. I'm riding a 2010 Kawasaki ZX10R. I got the bike last September. Since then, I've ridden 4340km till last Sunday, all on the street, group or solo rides. This year, I've applied for a circuit licence, received that. I'm currently awaiting my leather suit, before I hit the track.

I've ridden a 1992 GPZ500s and 1988 ZX10 Tomcat before this bike. It's become clear to me that power and handling of the new ZX10R is a whole new universe waiting to be unravelled. I don't think I've ridden within 40% of the bike's full potential. Since before I got this bike, I've been reading and watching whatever material I can find off the e-net to see how to better my road riding and now my soon to be track riding.

I've seen bits and pieces of CSS clips and today, I finally ordered Twist of the Wrist 2 on DVD. I've already got the printed version which has helped while away the winter. I often read and then try to apply what I've read. Now I'd like to see the dvd as well. I'm an engineer by profession (telecoms) so the technical approach is perfectly suited to my thought process. Since last year, I've invested or rather shelled out quite a bit of money towards a new bike, new equipment and now track equipment. Hence I don't see myself at the "UK CSS " anytime before next year if ever and I've certainly not got the budget for a trip to CSS in the US so for now, I've got the book, the dvd, the forum and loads of motivation. :D

My main issues are my steering speed if I can call it that. South Africa is very well designed in terms of roads, lots of highways, fast corners and I'm ok with that. In France, you don't have much width in the lanes and it's very very tight cornering, decreasing radius turns and I've had to adapt as well to the weather conditions and at times poor road surfaces.

So thats who I am and why I'm here. I've already been reading a few threads and already it's helpful. Thank you. :D

Welcome to the forum!

That ZX-10 is one very capable machine and will be a blast on the track even if the streets of France are not quite built for it. You should enjoy the TOTW2 DVD, its great information and well presented but if you can make it to a class in the UK I think you will be surprised at how much it helps. Of course I know what you mean about the cost, very little in high performance motorcycling is cheap but it's hard to put a price on knowing how to do it right! And having the CSS coaches explain what you are doing compared to what you think you are doing (which is my case) just puts your improvement on the fast track.

There is a ton of good information and some really insightful advice here so dig in.

Best,

Carey

Thanks Warregl :D

I'm already sold on the fact that I'll need to and will eventually attend the CSS in the UK.

It's a question of timing with budget. constraint that I've got to manage. So for now, this year, I plan to attend maybe 5 or 6 track days with friends that have at least 4 track seasons with loads of running to their credit and over various circuits in France.

My closest circuit is Le Mans, where they run the 24hr races. I will be 'racing' specifically and uniquely at this track this season. I use the term 'racing', but I've no intention of aiming for lap times. I will be taking the advice of trying to learn the basic's, trying to focus each of my sessions on each track day on some aspect of skill until it all starts to string together in the most natural way possible. I have no problem going 'slow' the whole season if it helps me understand and exploit the hints and tips for riding as technically correct as I can manage. :D

The Bugatti Circuit…I am sufficiently green with envy :D. That should be an absolute blast. Do you know when your first track day will be?

It sounds like you have a plan (and that's the secret to making that dreaded budget work). Good luck and keep us posted on how it goes.

Hi,

Welcome to the forum. As you've already seen, there are lots of good information, and there are lots of great, helpful people around too.

Keep asking them questions, and I've no doubt you'll be coming to see us soon. ;)

Bullet

@Warregl :D yip it is the Bugatti circuit precisely. My leather suit is expected 16 March. Therafter, I'm free to go anytime after but I will need to go with somebody that's already got a bike trailer and that. As I've pretty much splashed out all I can this year, the tow bar fitment, my own trailer, tyre warmers and whatever else needed for track/bike/rider will wait till next year at best. I've just got the budget left for fuel, tyres, brakes and toll road fees! Morning temperatures here are still around 2 to 6 °Celcius, so right now, to be honest, it's not the best time for a track day unless you forget the morning and just do the two or three afternoon runs.. I want a dry track where I can really exploit this bike. Wet track, rain tyres and that are not really my goal. Even in everyday use, I only ever use the bike if it's not going to rain. If it does anyway, thats fine, but I'm not more than 30km from home if ever and in no hurry at all. On a wet track, I suspect that will be me tempting fate!

Thank you! @Bullet Yeah, it's deffinately a goal to attend the school. :D If I'd done this ten years ago, I'd already be there. Now It's not just me, it's the family, the dog, the whole 9 yards.....:D :D :D

Hi folks, well just to add, received my copy of Twist 2 dvd today, watched it twice already....already have a few ideas when I get on the bike again.

It's also crystal clear that attending a training session at a "school" is non-negotiable, to try all the different "bike rigs" in understanding and perfecting the different skills and lessons to be learned. :D

Hi folks, well just to add, received my copy of Twist 2 dvd today, watched it twice already....already have a few ideas when I get on the bike again.

It's also crystal clear that attending a training session at a "school" is non-negotiable, to try all the different "bike rigs" in understanding and perfecting the different skills and lessons to be learned. :D

It's a great DVD and a really good primer for the school. You get a good feeling for what it's going to be like working with Keith and the coaches. No to mention the information is really useful and delivered well. If you like the video you will love the school.

Archived