Friends And The School

I was wondering if anyone has attended the school with a friend? If so did you ride together or go in serperate groups. My friend and I will be going to Barber in June to the 2-day camp and I was wondering of it would be better for us to go in different groups because he is a lot faster than I am and has a lot more experience riding? I dont now how the school is run so I have no idea if they serperate riders of different skill or not but I am just guessing that they do.

Bart,

If you are both taking the same levels then you should be in the same group however that doesn't mean you will have the same coach. At the two-day camp each coach works with 2 students (it's 1:3 on the one-day classes) and I know that friends can request to be placed with the same coach however as to whether or not that is a good idea I will have to defer to the coaches. I will say that in the one-day classes I took (levels 1 & 2) I was coached with much faster riders. The coaching is tailored to the rider so I got coaching on what I needed however I actually found the faster riders perspectives and the coaching they got to be beneficial to me.

Best,

Carey

I was wondering if anyone has attended the school with a friend? If so did you ride together or go in serperate groups. My friend and I will be going to Barber in June to the 2-day camp and I was wondering of it would be better for us to go in different groups because he is a lot faster than I am and has a lot more experience riding? I dont now how the school is run so I have no idea if they serperate riders of different skill or not but I am just guessing that they do.

Bart;

I can only offer my opinion FWIW but to "ride with a friend" at the School should be a very low priority and frankly something that I think you should try to avoid. I don't say that to be unfriendly but looking for your buddy on the track will be a distraction that is both unsafe and counter productive and will come at the expense of why most of us attend the Superbike School.

You are paying real good money for the 2-day camp so my advice is to use your time wisely and focus on your training. Remember that there are only two groups so you will cycling on and off the track every other session and you have a lot to work on while you're there. You will get at least six if not seven sessions so you will be plenty busy all day. Regardless, If you are in separate groups you still get to see him during breakfast and lunch and if you are in the same group you will also share seminars with them.

...just one man's opinion.

Rainman

Bart;

I can only offer my opinion FWIW but to "ride with a friend" at the School should be a very low priority and frankly something that I think you should try to avoid. I don't say that to be unfriendly but looking for your buddy on the track will be a distraction that is both unsafe and counter productive and will come at the expense of why most of us attend the Superbike School.

You are paying real good money for the 2-day camp so my advice is to use your time wisely and focus on your training. Remember that there are only two groups so you will cycling on and off the track every other session and you have a lot to work on while you're there. You will get at least six if not seven sessions so you will be plenty busy all day. Regardless, If you are in separate groups you still get to see him during breakfast and lunch and if you are in the same group you will also share seminars with them.

...just one man's opinion.

Rainman

You're a buzzkill, Kevin. Hahahaha.

I am not really worried about being distracted by my friend on the track. I am there to learn some new skills and become a safer and better rider. My friend and I have been riding together for a long time so we have a good understanding of what our abilities are. I was just wondering mainly about the faster riders. I am one of those "I would rather go in slow and make it through the turn than have to get a truck to haul my bike home" type of people. I have already had to do the truck hauling a number of times....lol. That is yet another reason I am wanting to take this school, most of my accidents have happened when I got into an unfamiliar zone and made a mistake. I just dont want to slow down other riders, but a good point was made about getting different perspectives from the faster riders. Dont worry about being a buzzkill rainman, its cool, I will take any information I can get no matter if its nice or not. I understand where you are coming from.

Thanks again for all the responses, I am very excited about going to the school and its not until June....sucks that I have to wait that long and that the school only comes over my way once a year.

Bart

I was just wondering mainly about the faster riders. I am one of those "I would rather go in slow and make it through the turn than have to get a truck to haul my bike home" type of people. I have already had to do the truck hauling a number of times....lol. That is yet another reason I am wanting to take this school, most of my accidents have happened when I got into an unfamiliar zone and made a mistake.

Bart;

The School has been dealing with the disparity in rider ability and pace for thirty years now and they manage it seamlessly [I differentiate between ability and pace because they are not always connected but that's a topic for another thread]; regardless they know how to do this.

As to your comment about "unfamiliar zone" that is a large part of what their training will address. If you've read the two Twist books or have watched the recent Twist DVD you will better understand how Keith attacks the barriers (mostly mental) that keep all of us struggling with different aspects of riding a bike, especially at speed.

Now for when you get there I can almost guarantee that you will not believe how much your riding will improve. I don't say that idly because I have attended a bunch of Schools in the past ten years but more because I have been cornerworking for them for the past five or so seasons - One Day Schools and a number of 2-Day Camps. As a cornerworker all you do is observe riders from multiple corner stations for two or three sessions and then spend the following session with them on the track. From my observation the amount of improvement that every rider makes is impressive, the amount of improvement that many make is simply incredible. This phenomenon is even more pronounced at the 2-Day Camps.

Ride safe;

Rain

As a cornerworker all you do is observe riders from multiple corner stations for two or three sessions and then spend the following session with them on the track. From my observation the amount of improvement that every rider makes is impressive, the amount of improvement that many make is simply incredible. This phenomenon is even more pronounced at the 2-Day Camps.

Ride safe;

Rain

Hi Kevin, thats an interesting fact about corner workers. I never realised you came out on track with us. I assumed you were like marshalls in the uk, i.e for safety to wave a flag if theres an incident etc etc. Do you work with the instructors when you do your session on track?? How does it all work?

cheers

neil

As a cornerworker all you do is observe riders from multiple corner stations for two or three sessions and then spend the following session with them on the track. From my observation the amount of improvement that every rider makes is impressive, the amount of improvement that many make is simply incredible. This phenomenon is even more pronounced at the 2-Day Camps.

Ride safe;

Rain

Hi Kevin, thats an interesting fact about corner workers. We do however report our observations by radio and Course Control (Trevor I never realised you came out on track with us. I assumed you were like marshalls in the uk, i.e for safety to wave a flag if theres an incident etc etc. Do you work with the instructors when you do your session on track?? How does it all work?

cheers

neil

Neil;

The instructors are way too busy and it is our responsibility to stay out of their and their students way when we ride. From our corner stations we do use radios to report our observations to Course Control (Trevor) who will pass along our comments on the students to the individual coaches. When we observe a student who is not on their program, we call it in pretty quickly so there is no hiding when the track is green. Blue flags are used "to communicate" to the students and Trevor takes it from there.

When we're out on the track we do not get involved in any of the training - that is strickly a School Function involving only the students and their coaches.

I have been fortunate enough to have a few instructors pull me around at the end of the day when they have a gap in their coverage and it is a huge treat when they can do it; it is purely a coincidence of circumstance when they can. That said, I will also attend a couple of Schools during the season purely as a student to keep my training properly focused. I am registered to ride at Barber in June which should be a real treat as it is one track I have been looking forward to riding since it opened.

Kevin

Archived