Tyre Storage

Hi,

Just looking for an excuse i suppose!! As I feel stupid.

I was going to take my wifes bike a Triumph Street Triple out for a short blast, managed about 25 feet!!!

The bike had been stood in the garage since around November. The floor is covered in rubber matting (old conveyor belt, no oil or residue)

I pulled off the drive turning right onto the road, watched by my wife. I didn't pull away quickly or with loads of rev, and the bikes rear end stepped out down it went..

Mostly cosmetic damage but cracked the pulse cover and snapped off brake lever. £100 ish.

My Question is 1/. Can tyres loose grip or oils come back to there surface if stood for a while?

2/. Could the trye have been affected by the rubber matting?

But most likley I just gave it to much throtle when i pulled away, the roads were dry and clean...

Andy

Hi,

Just looking for an excuse i suppose!! As I feel stupid.

I was going to take my wifes bike a Triumph Street Triple out for a short blast, managed about 25 feet!!!

The bike had been stood in the garage since around November. The floor is covered in rubber matting (old conveyor belt, no oil or residue)

I pulled off the drive turning right onto the road, watched by my wife. I didn't pull away quickly or with loads of rev, and the bikes rear end stepped out down it went..

Mostly cosmetic damage but cracked the pulse cover and snapped off brake lever. £100 ish.

My Question is 1/. Can tyres loose grip or oils come back to there surface if stood for a while?

2/. Could the trye have been affected by the rubber matting?

But most likley I just gave it to much throtle when i pulled away, the roads were dry and clean...

Andy

Andy,

Sorry you fell off. Be glad its all repairable.

It is most likely just that the tire needed to get some flex back into it, from sitting for along time. Just a long straight line run up the street to get the whole thing flexing again before you start leaning much.

It was also probably cold and the street was cold.

Did you get back on the horse and ride it?

Hi Steve,

Re- Did you get back on the horse and ride it?

Cheers for reply.

Couldn't ride the Triple as had no brake lever, so went straight out on my zx6r. Didn't enjoy turning right for first few miles (its all in the mind)

The bike and my pride will heal with a little TLC. But I don't think that will be off the wife at the mo though!!! Not until i've fixed her bike.

I will take it out as soon as the parts have been fitted, get rid of the demon's.

Andy

Archived