Percentages

dmj120

First, let me say I had more fun and learned more (simply by observation) whilst corner working.... throttle roll-on, smoothness, set-it and forget-it, and so on -- something that should be on everyone's to-do list, at least once. Oh ya, having a track ALL to yourself is pretty sweet too :)

That said, it was almost agonizing to NOT ask in person: If 'we' learn best at about 75%; at what percentage do coaches "coach?" It seems to me that if learning is best at about 75%, then to be able to instruct, observe, correct, etc. the percentage would in the 50-60% range (or close thereof).

Personally speaking as an ex-instructor.

The percentage depends on the student. It could go as high as 95% and still be effective.

The instructor is the same as the student; in that they are working on one thing with the student in the drill for that session.

Cheers

Interesting question; I'd say you'd probably rarely need to go above 90% anyway, but much above that, and you'd probably start to concentrate on your own riding rather than watching what the student was doing, which is the whole point of our jobs really. It happens so very rarely though, that I've not noticed to ever be a problem.

Bullet

What's that "75 %" mean in the first place? Is it 75 % of corner speed like if I could drive a turn with 100 kmh and I just drive 75 kmh ?

As stated by Keith: "It's observed that we generally learn best at about 75% of our ability." So yes, if you can do 100 --for learning purposes-- you would be better served to do 75 concentrating less on speed and more technique.

Interesting question; I'd say you'd probably rarely need to go above 90% anyway, but much above that, and you'd probably start to concentrate on your own riding rather than watching what the student was doing, which is the whole point of our jobs really. It happens so very rarely though, that I've not noticed to ever be a problem.

Bullet

From what I've seen, I didn't think it'd be a problem for the coaches ;) . I thought of this as I watched the coaches maintain the sames lines, turn points etc at multiple speeds - it was pretty interesting to watch lean angles and flick rates increase whilst other skills were relatively unchanged.

Archived