Cleaning New Chain

I replaced my chain and sprockets; I think I got everything back together OK and have the master linked rivet flared out enough so it won' back out, but not so far the metal would be cracked. But the chain is covered in grease- what is a good solvent or method to clean the excess without damaging the O-rings?

• 2 weeks later...

Paraffin or any of the chain cleaners out there that are advertised as being safe for O-Ring chains. I've heard that WD40 isn't recommended.

Really? I know people who lube their chains with WD40. It's the same people who use brake pad cleaner to clean their chains (DON'T do this), but still.

I got some Simple Green and got the outside of the chain cleaned up, but I'm still having some spots of the grease down in the chain flick off onto the tire side wall. Need to go find an old toothbrush and scrub more?

Paraffin or any of the chain cleaners out there that are advertised as being safe for O-Ring chains. I've heard that WD40 isn't recommended.

Really? I know people who lube their chains with WD40. It's the same people who use brake pad cleaner to clean their chains (DON'T do this), but still.

Yeah, supposedly it penetrates the links and removes the grease inside, shortening the life of the chain.

I used to pay for the fancy spray-on cans of chain cleaner, but they'd only last for a couple of goes before I'd have to go out and buy more. I've now got a big bottle of paraffin and decant some of that into a cup, then give the chain a good scrub with a toothbrush dipped into that, followed by a good clean with a rag dunked into it. Comes up pretty well and works out a lot cheaper than any of the spray cans.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived