Trouble Fitting Stainless Steel Front Brake Lines

Hi,

I'm trying to fit stainless steel HEL lines on the front brakes of my cbr600rr7. I'm pretty sure the lines provided by HEL have the brake caliper fastening crimped on 180 degrees the wrong way round, but just want to check I'm not doing anything stupid first! :lol: I have bought the correct kit - it says as much on the box!

i've taken some photos to show the problem.

First pic. The lines attach at the base of the master cylander. The swan neck connecter 'has to' point to the front of the bike, otherwise they would get in the way of steering.

post-14359-0-20751800-1302612184_thumb.jpg

second pic. The lines then run alongside the fork to the caliper. The problem is, at the caliper, the connecter is angled into the caliper, so it wont fit flush. Close up of the this in 3rd pic.

post-14359-0-79514300-1302612500_thumb.jpg

post-14359-0-89679700-1302612673_thumb.jpg

The only way to work around this is to 'twist the line 180 degrees'. But then the lines bulge out everywhere and surely they're not supposed to be twisted?

Am i missing something obvious here, or have HEL messed up? Also the right line (right as you sit on the bike) seems a little long......and may rub when fairings are attached? hmmmmm.

Any help much appreciated

cheers

Would it be possible to turn the hoses 180 degrees on top so that they point towards the throttle instead of the fork leg? That should also turn them into the proper direction at the bottom, but the hose may not be long enough for this and the routing may be poor from the m/c downwards.

Would it be possible to turn the hoses 180 degrees on top so that they point towards the throttle instead of the fork leg? That should also turn them into the proper direction at the bottom, but the hose may not be long enough for this and the routing may be poor from the m/c downwards.

Hi Eirik,

We tried different directions as you describe and they did indeed cause a routing problem, or they would get in the way of steering. I have just found this installation guide for my bike model including pics. (these are for Galfer lines, but thee set up is similar)

here

I am more than a little confused by this, because this specifically says to route the brake lines in front of the forks.......Wouldn't this potentially cause the brake line to rub on the forks, espcially as I don't hasve the 90 degree attachement at the brake caliper, which the galfer lines appeaer to have?

In your pictures, you have also routed the lines ahead of the forks - they just don't form such a big arch, so it doesn't appear as clearly as with the Galfers. If you routed them behind the upper triple clamps, they would end up behind the fork legs.

I would suggest you contact the support centre along with the pictures and ask for their advice on this, as their online fitting instructions fail to tell much http://helperformance.com/fitting-instructions/

Ok, so just spoke to a very helpful chap at HEL. He explained that you can actually rotate the banjo connection, by holding the crimp head with pliers and then rotating the banjo by turning it with something straight like a screwdriver/drill bit.

This doesn't solve the issue of one of the lines being too long, but he did say he would be happy to send out one to my measurements. I also said I would forward photos on showing arrangement, which they could review and see if their specification needs amending.

Top response from HEL :D

Good news :) I noticed that Galfer lines also had a significant difference in length between the two sides; looks like they come down together, held by a clamp, on the right side of the fork/triple tree and one needs to be longere to then move across the fender and down to the other caliper.

Archived