I Trackified My Bike!

A month or so ago I posted asking for help on choosing some track fairings - link here original post Well, I finally got round to fitting the CRC fairings, crash protection and HEL front brake lines....Well, 90% of it was fitted - had a few problems with the brake lines and engine casing cover.

Generally I'm happy. Pics below, however it was not the trouble free experience.

post-14359-0-42506700-1302684000_thumb.jpg

post-14359-0-42692600-1302684004_thumb.jpg

I'm a bit frustrated with the CRC fairings. I bought them because they 'fit first time every time' and they come with a 'high quality black gel primer layer - ready for paininting'! Both of these did not turn out to be as described.

I will point out that whilst I am not the best mechanic in the world, my dad is very handy with the spanners and spray equipment, although as far as 2 wheels go, has only ever worked on classic bikes :D .

Small mistake was made in that we sprayed the fairings without a trial fitting. This means that minor trimming on fitment is a finish problem. The CRC fairings had not been packaged very well and in transit they had rubbed together and some quite deep scratching occured. I rang up the CRC UK distributor to tell him that the packaging was not great and they might want to look into improving it - the guy sounded annoyed that I had bothered him with such a trivial matter! I thought he might appreciate the feedback....apparantly not! After rubbing down scraches and touching up the primer, we sprayed with water based paint and a lacquer.

Ok, so fitment. This should have been straight forward, but wasn't. The seat unit required two holes drilling / tapping in the frame....no big deal, but I don't know why they could not have used the orignal mounting points located 3 inches away....MAybe there's a strength reason? The real challenge with the fitment was with the pre fitted DZUS fastneings. They did generally line up, but at least one fastening on each panel was a pain to locate. The DZUS fastening receivers were just too far away from the clip. The only way to make them fit was slip ring pliers, levering the back of the DZUS fastening receiver forward. One panel took over an hour to fit. Quick fit my arse!

Issue 2 was the 'high quality'gel primer. Some of the the paint has started to flake off (only little spots where it has been touched by something, but still that is poorl). The paint has not 'fully adhered' to the gel primer. Where we rubbed it down and put on our own primer, it is fine.

Issue three, is that the fairing fits so closely to the engine casing that the Engine casing protection crash protevtion doesn't fit (pic below). This will need quite a bit of trimming to sort. It's also on a fold in the fairing, which will be providing the panel with stiffness and strength, so it's not really ideal to trim this, but I think we will have to. The protection on the clutch/alternator was not as bad, just a little nick required to fit. (pic below.

post-14359-0-76971800-1302683995_thumb.jpg

post-14359-0-12286200-1302684008_thumb.jpg

So all in all I'm happy with the look. I'm not happy with some of the fit / paint issues, as these are what I paid extra to obtain.

Lastly the HEL lines didn't fit - grrr! I have started another post about this here

Hey great job! It's possible the Dzus you have are simply a little short, I've run into this. Generally for a tech inspection you want to be able to pop those off quickly so you can drop the belly pan.

Other than some safety wire, looks like you're ready to go! :) Well other than those silly brake things. ;)

When you go to your first track day with these new fairings on, take some heat shield material with you. Sometimes with new fairings something gets too close to something hot, so you may need to add heat shield in some places. For example, I added race fairings to my ZX6R and the area under the exhaust got way too hot and blackened and bubbled the paint - turns out the race fairings were designed around the assumption that on a race bike the cat would have been removed. The stock/street fairings had a cutout there to allow the heat to dissapate.

Great job getting it all set up to get to the track, it looks lean and mean and ready to ride! :)

Thanks for the comments guys :-)

Gorecki - cheers for the tip. Maybe I can find some longer dzus clips to replace the problem ones? These ones came pre fitted.

Hottie - thanks for the heads up, the belly pan is quite close to the exhaust pipes.....

Managed to bottom out the brake pipe issue and HEL will send me a replacement. Also got the engine cover on with a bit of brute force :-)

Gorecki - cheers for the tip. Maybe I can find some longer dzus clips to replace the problem ones? These ones came pre fitted.

Not sure where you are but many sources do have them. Though I admit there's been times I've seen sellers not represent dimensions especially well. I get my Dzus and brake pads from Julie at KurveyGirl. Each fastner should have a pictorial description of shaft length and girth...etc. If you can measure yours to see how long they are and find the delta to what you need, I'm sure you'll find them.

First kit I bought was ~9mm shaft and was just a wee bit short. I literally broke one while putting them on. Got some that were ~2mm longer and all is good! Snug fit without play.

Not sure where you are but many sources do have them. Though I admit there's been times I've seen sellers not represent dimensions especially well. I get my Dzus and brake pads from Julie at KurveyGirl. Each fastner should have a pictorial description of shaft length and girth...etc. If you can measure yours to see how long they are and find the delta to what you need, I'm sure you'll find them.

First kit I bought was ~9mm shaft and was just a wee bit short. I literally broke one while putting them on. Got some that were ~2mm longer and all is good! Snug fit without play.

I'm in the UK. I'm sure I can find a local supplier - thanks for that info - as you say 2mm would make a big difference!

Archived