Warmers

I've been doing a bit of research into tyre warmers and have a question around the temperature they should be set at? I'm using Metzeler M5's and I'll just do a few laps gradually increasing my speed to get the tyres up to temp but I would like the advantage to go full speed only after a few corners. I have had mixed advice as to the temp the warmers should be set at for street/track supersport tyres compared to proper race tyres.

One view is to set the temps lower to 55-60C (131-140F) so you don't "cook" the tyre over the course of a day.

Another piece of advice was that adjustable warmers are a gimmick and that all tyres, regardless of compound, should be warmed to the same temp (e.g. 80C / 176F).

I've been doing a bit of research into tyre warmers and have a question around the temperature they should be set at? I'm using Metzeler M5's and I'll just do a few laps gradually increasing my speed to get the tyres up to temp but I would like the advantage to go full speed only after a few corners. I have had mixed advice as to the temp the warmers should be set at for street/track supersport tyres compared to proper race tyres.

One view is to set the temps lower to 55-60C (131-140F) so you don't "cook" the tyre over the course of a day.

Another piece of advice was that adjustable warmers are a gimmick and that all tyres, regardless of compound, should be warmed to the same temp (e.g. 80C / 176F).

With 1000s of viewpoints out the on the internet regarding this subject, it make is hard to make a decision.

The reality is that you are splitting hairs on the starting temperature.

My best advice it go with what we recommend and sweep away the many other pieces of advice.

Go here for our recommendations: http://www.dunloprac...com/Warmers.pdf

Do not make this overly complicated. Its not like 176F is OK and 175F is NOT OK. All you want to do is get the tire up into a WORKABLE RANGE. As you ride on the track the tires will heat up, or cool down, depending on your lap times and many other factors.

You can go here for more information on this subject: http://forums.superb...indpost&p=20782

I hope this helps.

Archived