Riding North Course After Level 1/2

Wanted to say thanks again to Jonny and Cobie for the assistance and on track training. Also wanted to say thanks to everyone else for a great time on the 18th and 19th at VIR North. I learned alot and got alot better which showed when I got to do VIR North again on Monday with NESBA.

Here are a few pics, got turn 1 down really well!

294527_10150286869099840_788209839_7581470_3707797_n.jpg

310911_10150286868154840_788209839_7581453_6077931_n.jpg

Here is a video from another rider, you will see me come in on the right.

Looking good Joeb! That Turn 1 can be a bit of a challenge for me, coming down off of the straight and into that double apex can put your heart in your throat. Plus I was having trouble finding a good line and RP for the second apex and was apexing too early. Once my coach (Greg) helped me look at a different line and I got a solid RP for it, I finally felt like I hitting it (for me anyway :P ). Good coaching does wonders!

Are you planning on going back to CSS next year?

Hopefully, I will get back up there next year for Level 3 and 4. We will have to see how work treats me.

I just love the North course, I have also got turn 4 down as well, and love running up hill on 7 into 10 and love diving down through the carousel from 13 to 17 . Didn't have a lap timer but based on GoPro footage was averaging around 1:55 per lap.

Hopefully, I will get back up there next year for Level 3 and 4. We will have to see how work treats me.

I just love the North course, I have also got turn 4 down as well, and love running up hill on 7 into 10 and love diving down through the carousel from 13 to 17 . Didn't have a lap timer but based on GoPro footage was averaging around 1:55 per lap.

Completely agree with you on the North Course! Last May Cobie helped me sort out 4, 5, and 5a so I was positioned to straighten out the Snake. That had me hitting 7 with a serious head of steam built up. I'm still working on a line through 7, I tried running it deep to get a better shot at that disappearing apex but there's rough tarmac that makes that a bit dicey. I ended up getting my best result by using the clean tarmac to turn in and hook turn to tighten up at the top of the hill.

Another place I found myself working on was 15 to 16, I didn't have a good RP to get me pointed to my entry at 16 after exiting 15; downhill like it is I couldn't find anything on the track and was a bit "lost". I ended up using an intermediate RP which was part of the fence off in the distance. Not ideal I know but I found if I just looked for that coming off of the apex at 15 that it would carry me to a point where I could see my on-track RP for turn in at 16. Greg helped me with that by noticing I was consistently turning in inside of where I should have been at the last turn before the front straight, robbing me of considerable corner speed (considerable for me anyway). That's the thing about cornering, your problem usually starts out several corners before your result!

Good luck getting back for levels 3 & 4, maybe we'll run into each other.

Best,

Carey

Archived