Balancing Tire Requiring Too Much Weight

hello :)

I am going to take CSS level 1 & 2 next week and I changed my tires from metzeler M5 to dunlop D211 gp racer for this lessons. they did balanced the front tire in the shop but it felt was off, at least they didn't remove older 12 grams weight and added 35 grams more so I decided to do myself by static balancing method as I did before.

tires are dotted on the lightest part of the tire, so it was matched to valve stem. it required around 60 grams to be balanced. I suspect if dotted part of tire is heawiest. so I rotated the tire on the rim 180 deg, no luck. I kept rotating tire on the rim and tried every inch. I finaly returned to starting point as it was the best. I did have only 55 grams at the moment and put all of it. I was thinking it may be good enough but unfortunately it wasn't! I didn't check the rim balance alone but I think tere is no any issue with it, last set was balanced to perfection by only 12 grams.

how much of balancing weight can be considered too much? is it possible tire can be faulty? they are french made gp racers. I contacted to seller and they will arrange distributor to see it. is there anything that I should know before meet them? other than that it is great and confidence inspiring tire. I am soo glad I made the change. hoping to resolve this issue before CSS course.

thanks for reading

hello :)

I am going to take CSS level 1 & 2 next week and I changed my tires from metzeler M5 to dunlop D211 gp racer for this lessons. they did balanced the front tire in the shop but it felt was off, at least they didn't remove older 12 grams weight and added 35 grams more so I decided to do myself by static balancing method as I did before.

tires are dotted on the lightest part of the tire, so it was matched to valve stem. it required around 60 grams to be balanced. I suspect if dotted part of tire is heawiest. so I rotated the tire on the rim 180 deg, no luck. I kept rotating tire on the rim and tried every inch. I finaly returned to starting point as it was the best. I did have only 55 grams at the moment and put all of it. I was thinking it may be good enough but unfortunately it wasn't! I didn't check the rim balance alone but I think tere is no any issue with it, last set was balanced to perfection by only 12 grams.

how much of balancing weight can be considered too much? is it possible tire can be faulty? they are french made gp racers. I contacted to seller and they will arrange distributor to see it. is there anything that I should know before meet them? other than that it is great and confidence inspiring tire. I am soo glad I made the change. hoping to resolve this issue before CSS course.

thanks for reading

Welcome to the forum, levent!

I've never heard of a 'limit' for how much balancing is required, but 55grams is indeed quite a bit. I think I've been around that amount myself (without ill effects) but I understand your concern. Those D211GP Racer's that I've used, have had near-perfect balancing, so something may indeed be wrong with the tyre.

Good luck with the tyre and the courses.

at the track there is a limit to what is considered acceptable. it is my opinion that once a tire is balanced it doesn't matter how much it took. On a "race tire" when your spending a couple thousand dollars on mag wheels and tie bolts ect. you don't want to go and slap a bunch of weight on to balance a tire.

The real facts are a tire that takes a lot of weight may go out of balace durring it's life more than a tire that took little weight. Most tires do spin on the wheels when ridden hard so it becomes a mute point as when it moves the balance goes off.

if it's not hopping it's not a problem.

resolved ! :lol:

I rebalanced tire, when I put to balancer I sow there is too much weight, removed most and put only 22 grams to another place :huh: perfectly balanced now.

FYI, one of my friends advised that balancing can be troublesome at first, it would be wise to rebalance after some usage so it seems he was right.

Sounds like you didn't get the tyre correctly bedded on the rim, and riding around for a while helped the tyre to get correctly bedded (ie: centered) on the rim.

Good for you :)