Race Fit

What do you guys do for physical fitness to keep from being tired on the track? You have a day for qualifying and then the next day for the actual race. For you serious racers out there what do you for workouts? Right now I have just been running and doing some kickboxing drills in the basement with the heavy bag. Better fit the better you can ride I would imagine.....besides who wants to buy new 1pc suits all the time lol tongue.gif

cycling is better suited to bike fitness than running. You can beat bike miles/time on the bike though for sure.

Bullet

Yea I just hate having to be on the bike so long to get a good workout in. 4mi of running gets done in less then an hour and in that time you are burning way more calories.

What about leg workouts, say squats for example....do you want to do more muscle building or more cardio type lifting such as lighter weight but with more reps? Being a sportbike rider you want to be fit but not big.

cycling is better suited to bike fitness than running. You can beat bike miles/time on the bike though for sure.

Bullet

Yea I just hate having to be on the bike so long to get a good workout in. 4mi of running gets done in less then an hour and in that time you are burning way more calories.

What about leg workouts, say squats for example....do you want to do more muscle building or more cardio type lifting such as lighter weight but with more reps? Being a sportbike rider you want to be fit but not big.

yeah, I understand about time for fitness, running is certainly better value in time terms for sure, though still believe cycling is better for motorbike racing. perhaps I'm old, and i just prefer being out on my bike (pushbike for a few hours), more than pounding the street with my old body? :-)

Squats are good workouts anyway, gets a bit boring though. Press ups too, good for resisting braking pressures, though of course you're legs (should), be taking some of that anyway. Definitely more cardo is of help, so reps rather than weights.

Bullet

I ride a stationary bike, the kind with the arms that move, that works both arms and legs. I do squats, lunges and calf raises for leg strength, pushups for arms and shoulders, and crunches and situps for ab strength.

But I still find some other muscles that get sore if I haven't been on track for a while - mostly my neck, from the low riding position and the weight of the helmet, and a small muscle on the side of my calf that I apparently use when I hang off!

I haven't seen a stationary bike that has moving arms? That sounds interesting.....what is the specific muscle that cycling works that makes it beneficial to riding? I don't know what my deal is but I feel so stiff and off balance on a regular bike.....it's annoying, not sure why that is? I never used to be that way.

Tomorrow I am going to take a break from running and focus on upper body and abs, I ran 4.08mi yesterday and 4.26mi today and my thighs are feeling it.