Cold And Hot Track Conditions

I haven't seen anything like this posted so figured I would throw this up on the threads and see what questions/ answers we can all come up with.

So you have two different temperatures, ambient temp and track temp.

1. At what point is either the ambient temp and track temp too cold/ too hot for maintaining grip?

2. What tire compound would be most preferred in these conditions if the track isn't wet?

3. What changes would need to be made in how you ride the bike around the track? Ex. slower turn in instead of harder quick flicks, braking earlier then normal.

4. How do tires wear vs cold conditions and hot conditions?

I will pitch my thoughts on some of these:

1. not sure.

2. I would assume soft compound for cold and harder compound for hot.

3. In cold conditions I would think it's a little like rain where you are more smooth and technical vs aggressive around the track.

4. In cold conditions the tires wouldn't wear as much but rubber quality wouldn't last as long. Hot conditions the tire would wear faster but the compound could get too hot and start to lose grip.

These are just my thoughts and answers, curious to see what everyone else comes up with!

I am interested in the compound question too. I *think* I recently read that it is actually counter-intuitive with the Dunlop slicks (maybe all slicks), and that you actually needed the softer compound on the hotter track....but maybe my memory is playing tricks on me.

Found this on the Dunlop site:

http://dunlopracing.com/technical-info/#CP

Basically, says that soft compounds cold tear more easily, so on a cold track you want the harder compound tire.

Sorry, I know that is not as specific as what you are asking, but at least goes to show that it doesn't always go in the direction that you might expect!

Found this on the Dunlop site:

http://dunlopracing....hnical-info/#CP

Basically, says that soft compounds cold tear more easily, so on a cold track you want the harder compound tire.

Sorry, I know that is not as specific as what you are asking, but at least goes to show that it doesn't always go in the direction that you might expect!

Interesting, I would have "thought" if you were using a harder compound and couldn't get the tire hot enough that it would cold tear the tire as well lol. I am sure that still holds true but thanks for the info!

I should have posted my reply different.

My thoughts are if this were posted in the tire section then the forum tire guys would be more likely to reply with their knowledge and wisdom. That was all.

After riding a private track day with ambient temps starting in the low 40'sF 5C with a brisk wind no one seems to thrilled to hit the track in a hurry. There was a lot of concern about the track and tire temps. The Bridgestone reps that were there stayed busy for the first few sessions checking tire temps etc... until the track warmed up some.

The beginning of our track season can be real questionable temp wise in the area I live. aslcbr600 you have brought up a good topic and I will keep an eye on it.

Thanks.

my take on your 4 points.

1. not sure either.

2. harder in the cold. Why. I use summer tires on my car year round. They are soft, easy to sink a fingernail into. They are not recommended for temps below 32F 0C. And noticing how hard the winter tires are in Northern America.

3. I literally just finished watching Twist 2 DVD and it is covered in the movie. You have to be easier on the controls.

4. I have no idea.

I should have posted my reply different.

My thoughts are if this were posted in the tire section then the forum tire guys would be more likely to reply with their knowledge and wisdom. That was all.

After riding a private track day with ambient temps starting in the low 40'sF 5C with a brisk wind no one seems to thrilled to hit the track in a hurry. There was a lot of concern about the track and tire temps. The Bridgestone reps that were there stayed busy for the first few sessions checking tire temps etc... until the track warmed up some.

The beginning of our track season can be real questionable temp wise in the area I live. aslcbr600 you have brought up a good topic and I will keep an eye on it.

Thanks.

my take on your 4 points.

1. not sure either.

2. harder in the cold. Why. I use summer tires on my car year round. They are soft, easy to sink a fingernail into. They are not recommended for temps below 32F 0C. And noticing how hard the winter tires are in Northern America.

3. I literally just finished watching Twist 2 DVD and it is covered in the movie. You have to be easier on the controls.

4. I have no idea.

I haven't refreshed myself on Twist 2 yet, (shame on me) but it's hard to watch stuff like that and look outside to see nothing but snow!

I wonder what the actual science of using a harder compound in colder conditions brings to the table?