Tire Tearing Problems

Can anyone help me with a problem with the tire tearing problems

I am riding a 2003 R1 with Ohlins internals in the front and rear this includes uprated springs as well as oil everything.

The problem that I am having is that I have just changed tires from the old Pilot race tire to the new Power race and the front tire is tearing horribly after only 5 to 7 laps it also keeps on wanting to tuck at the apex of the turn. The geometry on the bike is still standard but the suspension was absolutely perfect for the old tires but no matter what we try we cant sort this problem out even if I ran a soft front tire on the pilots it never tore and the wear and grip and feedback was brilliant now running the new one it doesnt matter what compound we try it does the same. At the moment the tire pressure on the front is 2.1 bar.

Please any help would be great.

Talk to your tire vendor and hire a suspension tuner.

The newest michelins run on CRAZY low pressures. I don't know what the bar to psi conversion is (and I'm too lazy to seach it out right now), but the new michelins are running on like low 20 PSI's. I don't know exactly what the pressure is as I don't run them, but I race with multiple people who do. They were all shocked as well.

Aside from that, look at your suspension. I've never seen a front tire shag. Rear's yes, but never a front... So I don't really know what to tell you... Sorry...

Thanks for the reply but

I do already have a suspension tuner and even he cant figure out wat is wrong i have spoken to the tyre vendor and they are convinced that it is suspension my argument is how many tyres and how many crashes must we go through to get this sorted out this tyre is really really scary to ride on, thought i might mention as well that i am not the only one with the same problem other guys that i ride with are having exactly the same problem there must be 10 people that i know that now refuse to use the tyre.

I took a buddies Gixxer750 for about 8 laps at Roebling last summer. He came in and the tires sat for about 10 minutes and he let me take it out for a spin. I'm not the fastest guy out there, maybe 1:22 at best. Anyhoo, I warmed up the tires for about 3 laps before I started in on some good laps. They were H2's by the way. I ruffed up the right side pretty good. By the next day he had to get another set of tires. I think it was the tire. I've head that about the H2's. Try one more tire before you pass judgement unless it happens every time.

• 3 months later...

The only time I've experienced extreme front tire tearing was while attempting to compensate for lack of front traction on a fast abrasive track by lowering tire pressure to ridiculous numbers like 20 lbs. when the culprit was actually too soft fork springs. The low pressure created extreme carcass flex leading to overheated rubber compound. Don't know how much the soft springs and pushing front contributed.

How's your traction?

I've had this twice before.

First off was with too much body weight over the front which tore the trailing edge of the tread and the second was when I was using race compound tyres. I am mortal and they never warmed up enough. You get a thing called 'cold tear'. I am told that because the tyre doesn't warm up properly, the top layer gets loose and tears off. Maybe a drop to a tyre that is more in the direction of street and track would help.

It's no reflection on your riding or speed, it's just that the tyres don't warm up enough. If it was a bridgestone, drop from a BT002 to a BT014.

Or, as it's said in another post - change your tyres!

Ft

• 1 month later...

I'm gonna try out Hyper Pro springs front and rear on the '05 636 tomorrow. Any input guys?? I bottom out the stock forks with 220 in gear. Can't afford to do $1500 front and rear. I use my bike to do the twisties around here also. Gotta have the best of both worlds. I'll post on my results. Have to intall them tomorrow. 15 day trial.

• 2 months later...

back off your compression settings. too much compression limits the suspension's ability to do its job. this, in turn, puts the burden on the tire.

while a tire is designed for a certain amount of bump absorption, if the suspension stops/slows compression the tire must accomodate this added force. a sticky compund at temperature being forced to do something it's not designed to do tears away. the grip is there, the compliance is not.

also, 2.1 bar is about a point high for track work. spirited riding elevates the temp, increasing pressure and reducing the contact patch...more work for less rubber.

through experience, i've found one of the suspension guidelines i've come across to be a fairly good gauge of correct tire pressures. i look for a .4-.5 bar increase from cold to hot.