Lap Timer As A Learning Tool

I'm interested in a more sophisticated lap timer to improve my riding. I've been using Harry's laptimer on my iPhone for a couple of track days and it is quite good in showing track section speed, acceleration and breaking. I wonder what Speedangle and Moto-D GPS Next can do better for $500, other than the > 10Hz accuracy of course.

- I like to check my riding after each session. Harry's laptimer makes it very easy since it's just an iphone app. Unless I bring a laptop to the track I don't think I can use Speedangle or GPS Next until I go back home. At which point I will hardly remember what happened during each session.

- I would like to compare my riding with an expert rider data. So overlay my recording and the expert throttle/break/angle data to show where I'm losing time exactly.

- Any other coach-like use I can make it of these lap timers or other devices please let me know.

http://www.speedangle.com/

http://www.motodracing.com/motorcycle-gps-lap-timer-start-next

A friend of mine got the MotoD and it has done nothing but not work properly.

These days I've been looking at the XTRacing stuff lately. The Zed is 425. http://www.xtracing.com/en/products.php

There is also QStarz: http://www.qstarz.com/Products/GPS%20Products/BT-Q1000EX-10HZ-F.html

I had an AIM logger in my 2013 S1000RR that worked well, but getting the data off was inconvenient and the software was definitely lackluster. It was also $$$.

I have a Starlane GPS timer. It has section times (which you can set however you want) and it flashes a light at me when I get a best segment time in a section (or a best overall lap). I use that for immediate feedback to try different lines through a corner or section; sometimes it can be hard to judge whether a shorter tighter line is better or a faster wider line, for example.

I have a Starlane GPS timer. It has section times (which you can set however you want) and it flashes a light at me when I get a best segment time in a section (or a best overall lap). I use that for immediate feedback to try different lines through a corner or section; sometimes it can be hard to judge whether a shorter tighter line is better or a faster wider line, for example.

Which version do you have?

I'm not sure about Harry's as I don't have a iPhone, but I know RaceChrono ( a different app based lap timer ) lets you use a external blue tooth GPS receiver you can mount to the bike, giving you the accuracy of dedicated GPS devices with your cell phone and a somewhat reduced cost compared to the full on lap time / DAQ system.

My experience with cell phone GPS lap times is that they are a rough estimate at best.

Which version do you have?

I have the Athon XS

I don't have the MotoD timer myself but I do have a number of their products such as stands, warmers, and other accessories. They make some really great stuff. Don't let the value price fool you.

Perhaps I'm a bit odd but my bikes are equipped with all of the BMW data collection stuff. I have their lap timers and dataloggers. I tend not to look at that data while I'm at the track unless I'm working on something specific. The data and lap times are useful after the fact of course but I like to focus on the riding itself rather than racing against the clock.

If you can find one that works with your bike and is within the budget you have setup get a datalogger of some kind. Being able to see corner speeds + lean angle + traction is great for understanding how much faster you can really go.