Code Race Tire Selection

I will be out at my 2nd Code RACE this coming weekend and really can't wait. I feel like I know the answer to the following question as it pertains to me, but stil curious what others might have to say.

The question: Do I stick with the Q3's or opt for the Slicks?

On my personal track bike, I run Dunlop N-Tec Slicks with tire warmers with great results and feedback from the tire. Every time I ride at a regular CSS 2-Day Camp, I obviously use the Q3's. The last Code RACE I participated in, I went ahead and stuck with the Q3's. If I recall correctly I was running around a 1:29 (without my time sheet in front of me, I could be wrong). I honestly think I will be able to shave of a few more seconds this time around. The only time I remember the back end getting a little loose is coming off the last corner onto the straight but I believe that corner is a bit bumpy anyway. Any thoughts?

What kind of bike ?

I'd recommend going to GPA's at a minimum, 1:29 is a pretty good lap there, I can get down in the 1:25 range on Q3's myself , but the reduced traction driving out of corners starts to take its toll

I'll be there as well, however I wont be on track with you

What kind of bike ?

I'd recommend going to GPA's at a minimum, 1:29 is a pretty good lap there, I can get down in the 1:25 range on Q3's myself , but the reduced traction driving out of corners starts to take its toll

Thanks for the input.

If you run the N Tecs on your personal bike and don't mind fooling with the warmers (and don't mind the added cost), you may want to stick with those. Coderace has been getting pretty competitive lately!

I don't know if it would change your response, I should clarify that I will be on one of the CSS Bimmers. I don't recall seeing anyone running warmers on the school bikes only the guys that brought their own bikes. If I wanted to bring my own warmers, will they even allow that? I suppose I could warm them "Mr. Miyagi" style :) or maybe just a couple of slower laps.

What kind of bike ?

Thanks for the input.

If you run the N Tecs on your personal bike and don't mind fooling with the warmers (and don't mind the added cost), you may want to stick with those. Coderace has been getting pretty competitive lately!

I don't know if it would change your response, I should clarify that I will be on one of the CSS Bimmers. I don't recall seeing anyone running warmers on the school bikes only the guys that brought their own bikes. If I wanted to bring my own warmers, will they even allow that? I suppose I could warm them "Mr. Miyagi" style :) or maybe just a couple of slower laps.

On a school bike, you might find warmers more trouble than they are worth - you would need to set up a pit area with a generator, CSS does not have a place set up to plug in warmers and Streets does not have electrical hookups or outlets in the paddock/parking areas, and unless you have a helper at the track it is a bit rushed to get them on and off before and after your track sessions and could eat into your time with your coach. Also it is an additional cost to buy and mount N-Tecs on a school bike, and you would need to arrange that in advance to make sure they have a set there for you (unless you are bringing them along with you) and to make sure the mechanic has time to change the tires. So yes, I guess it does change my response. :) You can go really fast on Q3s, and without warmers I think the Q3s are a lot more confidence inspiring since they warm up quickly, and also don't feel as squirrelly and weird when they are cold as the slicks do.

It probably comes down to what you feel comfortable with, and your budget. Either tire should do just fine. The weather forecast looks warm, especially in the afternoon when you are actually racing, so warming up the tires on the track shouldn't take long at all.

FWIW, the coaches will not be using warmers, either, although it is likely that some of the other students who bring their own bikes will use them.

Thanks again Hotfoot. I emailed Lara and went ahead and sprung for the N-tecs, if nothing else it will be a learning opportunity for me and a chance to practice some self control on the first couple laps to make sure the edges are nice and warm. Will you be out there?