Things to know before your first CSS?

Good morning.  A few co-workers and I are signed up for the May 26th CSS at Barber and this will be our first time going to this school.  We will be using school gear and bikes as well.  My question is to all of the veterans of the school out there.  Is there anything that you wish you knew or knew to bring before you got there?  If we have go pro's will there be mounts on the school bikes or helmets or are we allowed to even mount them?  Coolers with drinks or will there be stuff there?  How much spendy cash to bring (will there be shirts, ect. for sale)?  You get the idea, anything useful that you can give to guys who will be attending for the first time.  Thanks for your time.

Jeff

• Like 2

The school will have pretty much everything you need available - sunscreen, earplugs, water, snacks, etc.

However, at Barber some things you could end up wanting to have:

• a folding chair, for break times - there is seating in the classroom, but you might want to have a chair you can put somewhere in the shade for times between class and riding.
  • A comfortable, cool layer to wear under your leathers, either an undersuit made for the purpose or something like UnderArmour pants and shirt. An underlayer makes it a LOT easier to get in and out of leathers, plus being cooler and more comfortable underneath. A regular cotton tshirt can get bunched up or wet under leathers and won't keep you as cool as UnderArmour or an undersuit. The school does have undersuits for sale, in limited size/quantity, you may want to call ahead to see if they can reserve one for you in your size and find out the price.
  • Drinks of your own if you have a preference - keeping hydrated is important, it can get hot at Barber. The school will have water and Skratch (an electrolyte drink) available.

If you want to run a Go Pro, mention it as you register in the morning to find out if it will be allowed and to leave time to arrange for mounting the camera.

As far as money goes - there are plenty of things to buy, T shirts, caps, track decals, not to mention bike parts and Stomp grip, so how much to bring is up to you. Credit card is fine for purchases and you will need a credit card for your equipment deposit anyway, so you may just want to bring that instead of a bunch of cash.

Also Barber museum is nearby, and a giant Bass Pro shop, so there are lots of places you can spend money if you're so inclined. :D  Consider making time the day before or after your school to visit the Barber Museum, it is AMAZING.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/10/2018 at 7:04 AM, Nightstick said:

Good morning.  A few co-workers and I are signed up for the May 26th CSS at Barber and this will be our first time going to this school.  We will be using school gear and bikes as well.  My question is to all of the veterans of the school out there.  Is there anything that you wish you knew or knew to bring before you got there?  If we have go pro's will there be mounts on the school bikes or helmets or are we allowed to even mount them?  Coolers with drinks or will there be stuff there?  How much spendy cash to bring (will there be shirts, ect. for sale)?  You get the idea, anything useful that you can give to guys who will be attending for the first time.  Thanks for your time.

Jeff

Realize that it is a SCHOOL, not a sales-pitch! The instructors are incredibly knowledgeable and when they are discussing technique, form, or common mistakes, it is not to sell you on their ideas or ways of riding. They are teaching you a new technique. You try it out, and if you do not like it, let the instructors know when you have your post ride meeting with them. Let them know what was uncomfortable. Chances are, they will spot it before you do and tell you exactly what to change or address. 

For me personally, my first school I went to, I loved it. I was so excited and ready and scared. I went in with an open mind and took it all in.

There may be some people in your class that "argue" with the ideas or challenge the instructors based on their personal experiences. It can be frustrating because the instructors are there to teach, not to sell. They are offering a new perspective, new techniques, they are not trying to change you. They are not telling you this is the ONLY way to ride a bike. However, they have done their research, they show you the research, and they have proven techniques. It is up to you whether you leave the school and take the lessons with you! :)

Go in with an absolutely open mind. If you go in with this approach, I guarantee you will enjoy it so much more and your riding will drastically improve!!!! 

Also, if and when a coach pulls you over on the track, do not take it personally. They are not mad at you, they are there to keep you and other riders safe. If they notice something dangerous, they will bring it up. 

Lastly, do not worry if you are slower than others in your class. You learn best when you ride at 75% of your ability. And sometimes with even less speed you can focus on your riding and the technique at hand.

In summation...
1) Go in with an open mind. 
2) Don't take it personally if you are "having a talkin' to" by one of the coaches. 
3) Ride at a pace you are comfortable with, do not worry about the ability of others. Focus on you! 

• Like 2

Wow, Adam, this is a REALLY good post, I was focused on the "things" to bring and didn't even think to address the mental aspect of preparing for the school, but what you wrote here is terrific, on point and I imagine it will be really helpful to new students. :)

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Hotfoot said:

Wow, Adam, this is a REALLY good post, I was focused on the "things" to bring and didn't even think to address the mental aspect of preparing for the school, but what you wrote here is terrific, on point and I imagine it will be really helpful to new students. :)

Thank you! I am a counselor as my profession so I try to bring up the feelings associated with the experience...and Cobie may know/ remember this: but I want to be a coach for CSS!!! So I try to use a lot of empathy in what a student may be feeling or experiencing to work with them effectively and on a personal level.