Jump to content

Been inactive since Oct 2017 :)


Recommended Posts

Forgot about CSS for a bit; haven't been around this forums since I had a heart attack in Oct 2017... WHILE RIDING... lol
That's for another time but yeah crazy stuff; anyways finally started riding this past June when I could walk around again.
Anyways was looking at couple schools this year¬†to get some skills back and might do both CSS and YCRS this time for comparison; since I didn't get to last time due to unforeseeable circumstances ūüėõ

So last time I finished lvls 1-4; I had that semi bad experience for a bit on lvl 3 and you guys made things right immediately even though you didn't have to.  Hopefully I make it to CSS next month back at NJMP.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Sure, Oct 2017, set out for a group ride with some friends.  Morning started off fine, met up with my friends and first stretch was no problem.  After our first stop and second stretch I blacked out on the ride which I was leading mind you.  Luckily I blacked out while going relatively slow and basically bike just kept going down and down on a turn lol.  I guess my body just went completely limp and tumbled around and ended up on the side of the road.  I was laying still for a bit and my friends called the paramedics.  All this is from my friends telling me; as I don't remember anything after the 2nd stop meeting up with my friends (and I only remember that day because I have pictures of us meeting up).  By the time the paramedics arrived I had gotten up on my feet and felt fine and such probably adrenaline or something.  Shortly after they arrived and talking to them I had a seizure and collapsed where my heart stopped.  They used the defibrillator on me for about 10-15mins I was told.

I ended up in the hospital which I remember almost nothing for the first 6 weeks or so.  Basically was in an induced coma for most of it to recover.  I did fracture my scapula and cracked a couple ribs but my heart sustained significant damage during the time it wasn't pumping (they call it the widowmaker veins? that wasn't getting blood).  I ended up with a tracheotomy, feeding tube for the 2 months I was in the hospital went from 178lbs to something like 135lbs.  Could barely move but most of my pain was from my frozen shoulder because I wasn't moving for the entire time in the hospital bed.  Sometime during my stay got transferred out of ICU got transferred to another hospital to be closer to home and recover.  Finally got home at the end of December.  Against doctors orders I started eating real food w/ the trach in my throat because I was starving and too weak.  Started able to move about end of January, began cardiac rehab for about 3 months.  Had an elective defibrillator implant put in just in case something like this was to ever happen again.  By May my heart had regained some function that was lost but will never be 100%.  And June was back to being able to lift my legs over a bike so went off and bought me a 2018 Ducati V4S and been riding that since.  Funny enough my bike that crashed sustained minor damage, mostly cosmetic since it was slow enough, it did have an oil leak so my friend replaced the oil pan but no cracks seemed it just broke the seal.

I have no family history of heart disease, one of those weird flukes, I was 44 at the time.  1 1/2 years now and no issues; riding daily.  Crazy stories are the lucid dreams I had at the hospital during my heavily medicated state lol.  Had my wife and some great friends visit me during my hospital stay; someone tried to stay with me daily.  And friends that came by daily once I got home to bring me meals.  Also I got fed up staying at the hospital once I got moved to the other hospital and the nurses there were horrible.  So I checked myself out basically; my good friend came to visit me and told him to get the doctor because I'm not staying here no more.  I told them I'm refusing treatment and get me outta here; had to sign a bunch of release forms but I didn't care at that point, and the doctors had no choice to let me go.  Friends had to carry me pretty much but I got home; in a lot of pain but road to recovery.  While the hospital intentions were good lack of nutrition and proper care at some point just got me weaker.  I recovered quickly once I got home and began eating again.

Disappointing thing is my GoPro was on the rear and accidentally got put in still photos mode so no footage other than my friends looking at my camera trying to figure out if it's on and such.  Helmet has a nice big gash on the side from hitting a rock; full leathers help sustain no scratches.  And I now have a crazy bike story to tell. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...