How Long Before I Should Attend A Class

I Have been riding for three months and have three two four thousand miles on my bike. I have been learning from a fellow soldier (KRIS) in the army who has been to alot of track days and is a very experienced rider. The main problem I have is that when I try to ride with other people that are more experienced (or not) they would rather just go as fast as they (think) they can handle where as when I ride with Kris he will ride behind me and explain what I need to work on. We usually ride a very familiar stretch of road twice with him following me then he speeds up and rides to his capabilities while I work on what I need to improve on and gradually gain speed in the corners. My main concern is showing up to a class and slowing up other riders. So, I am just wondering how much longer I should wait to attend a class. If anyone can help please let me know.

Maybe my experience will help as a guide until one of the instructors weighs in. I have a little over 2 years and 25,000 miles street experience, and had never seen a track until last week, when I attended the 2-day camp at VIR.

I got a tremendous benefit from the school, and saw rapid improvement. Since you have the benefit of an experienced teacher, you will probably be ready sooner than I was. As soon as the basic control operations are fairly reflexive, you're ready to benefit from the school. Don't worry at all about holding up other riders. Everyone is encouraged to ride at their own pace, and "racing" is discouraged as detrimental to developing good technique. You might well be ready now. The "sweet spot" is sometime after you're comfortable with the controls, and before you start burning in any bad habits.

Because you mentioned riding with groups, I'll throw in one more item from the "free advice" department. I'd say don't ride with others who are not considerate of your level, and if you do, just ride your own ride, and don't try to keep up. There is no more certain way to go beyond your limits and crash than to ride in that kind of company. Don't ask me how I know.

You're very fortunate to have an experienced teacher, and I'm sure you'd get a lot out of the 2-day camp. I was very impressed with the professionalism and effectiveness of the program. It exceeded my expectations in every way.

-Mike

I appreciate the response. I have been reading alot of the articles in the forums and we are going for a ride this weekend so I plan to try some of the stuff I have read about. Kris is also thinking about taking a class so I think we are both going to try to take a 2-day class. I think that I can learn alot from this school because from what i've read the school seems to promote safety while teaching people how to expand their capabilities.

I'm glad to hear you're planning to take the 2-day. I think you'll really enjoy it. I found myself able to go much faster during track sessions, with far better control. The CSS crew have instruction down to a science, and they really pack a lot into a day. Since I attended the school, my street riding is much more fun. At any speed, I have far better control of my line. Better throttle control and fewer mid-turn corrections add up to a more stable bike and a happier rider. Turns that used to put my heart in my throat are now just another happy cornering experience. Good luck, and enjoy your ride this weekend.