I'm Going Racing

My strategy is:

don't crash.

;-)

Seriously,...

Be prepared. Have everything you can think of ready and prepped ahead of time. I assume you have a license and have completed a school and mock race to be able to compete? And your bike is drilled and wired to tech spec's? Race rubber mounted?

Anything that needs to be done, have it done before you go, so that all you need to do is take the bike out and ride, and put it away when you are done so you can focus on riding.

Get lots of sleep and arrive early.

For the record, I have never managed to do any of these things and always suffered for it. The guys who can simplify and stay ahead of the curve throughout the weekend will have less tendency to fall behind when some little thing crops up like nobody told them they couldn't race with a helmet more than two years old. Or that WERA requires about fifty times as much wire as AMA, or....you'll see.

No matter how prepped you think you are, chances are, something will not go according to plan and minmiizing these distractions is the number one thing in my book.

Good luck

Shiny side up!

Bring us a good story and...no crashing.

racer

My strategy is:

don't crash.

;-)

Seriously,...

Be prepared. Have everything you can think of ready and prepped ahead of time. I assume you have a license and have completed a school and mock race to be able to compete? And your bike is drilled and wired to tech spec's? Race rubber mounted?

Anything that needs to be done, have it done before you go, so that all you need to do is take the bike out and ride, and put it away when you are done so you can focus on riding.

Get lots of sleep and arrive early.

For the record, I have never managed to do any of these things and always suffered for it. The guys who can simplify and stay ahead of the curve throughout the weekend will have less tendency to fall behind when some little thing crops up like nobody told them they couldn't race with a helmet more than two years old. Or that WERA requires about fifty times as much wire as AMA, or....you'll see.

No matter how prepped you think you are, chances are, something will not go according to plan and minmiizing these distractions is the number one thing in my book.

Good luck

Shiny side up!

Bring us a good story and...no crashing.

racer

Thanks mate, they have started a street class here so we don't have to do a thing to the bike,(how good is that)

Cheers

...we don't have to do a thing to the bike,(how good is that)

Cheers

Although your question sounds rhetorical, in my opinion, how good an idea not doing a thing to the bike is is very debatable.

I would need to know more about the circumstances. For instance, road course/road race/street race in the style of "buckets" racing in New Zealand is ususally not a balls out event. I don't know of anything organized or sanctioned that is comparable in the states. Where are you racing?

In any case, I would urge you to think about what sort of stuff you would not want to fall off...oil plug, oil lines, coolant lines, brake calipers, axles and muffler and at least consider doing a light safety wire and clips. Make certain your tires and brake pads are at least fresh.

I don't mean to put you off your game here, but, speaking for myself, I would not get on course with bikes that had not been properly prepped including non-slip coolant and professionally safety/race inspected.

Even with the best of intentions, s**t happens. People forget to tighten a bolt to full torque and something falls off on the riding line or they fall on the riding line...you get the idea.

If I were in your shoes, this being your first "race", keep your eyes peeled and stay relaxed, calm, in control of yourself and ride your own pace and plan. Do not get caught up trying to outride another guy. Or trying to "win".

I would not push 100% in an event with other "street" bikes that had not been well-prepped and inspected by a certified race inspector. Hopefully, this is a sanctioned event and someone with proper experience will at least being looking over your equipment.

Good luck.

Thanks for your help guys.

This is where I come, I am #19

Practice 18th from 25 riders

Qualifying 18th from 27 riders

Race 1. I come 16th from 26 riders

Race 2. I come 14th from 20 riders

Race 3. I come 12th from 21 riders ( I started this race from the back of the grid after someone stopped in front of me on the start line )

img2439smalllb6.jpg

img2433smallza8.jpg

Thanks for your help guys.

This is where I come, I am #19

Practice 18th from 25 riders

Qualifying 18th from 27 riders

Race 1. I come 16th from 26 riders

Race 2. I come 14th from 20 riders

Race 3. I come 12th from 21 riders ( I started this race from the back of the grid after someone stopped in front of me on the start line )

Good job!

Nice photos!

Where is this racetrack?

The camera angle reminds me of Sears Point.