In Too Fast ?

RobZA

In the spirit of Silvrluc's knee dragging post, herewith- my experience with entry speed. We've done lean angle and exits, so it's a matter of time. Once again, probably not too much here for the heroes.

Most of us get "stuck" with corner speed at some time. You find yourself with lean angle to spare mid corner or track to spare on the exit, or you're getting passed, but your SR's won't let you turn in faster.

Keith tells us to change one thing at a time. So firstly I pick a corner to work on, but I keep my speed up for the whole lap to maintain focus. This will either be my worst corner, or the fastest corner, because Keith says go fast in the fast corners.

Now one day when I finally achieve my goal of all this extra entry speed and carry it all the way through the corner, chances are (assuming a peaky motor and a close ratio gearbox) I'll be taking this corner in the next higher gear, so that's where I start.

But I'm still a wuss so now I'm turning in at the same (slow) speed, and I'm probably below the power band in my new gear. This is good- for now. It prevents me from "buying" exit speed with the right wrist because it won't go, and this now leaves me with 1/2 the track unused for the exit. At this point my entry and mid corner speed are unchanged, but I'm not getting drive at the exit.

So now I start to ease up the entry speed to get into the power band in this new higher gear. This isn't threatening any more because now I know I've got 1/2 the track width to play with on the exit. Eventually I'll get to a point where I'm in the power band and I'm happy with my mid turn speed, but still have space to start the drive at the right time. Success :D Move on to the next corner and repeat.

Now the fun bit: In doing this I found one slow corner where the spacing betwen the gear ratios was just too much to get away with this. If I entered in the power band in the higher gear, I ended up going too fast with too little track to exit. So just after the apex I have 3 choices: do nothing or drive out and run off, chop the throttle and blow the lap, or re-read Soft Science where Keith tells is sliding the rear is good (M'kay) I get off max lean, make sure I'm loose on the bike, and dip the clutch. The rear breaks traction briefly, oversteer ensues, and I can pick it up onto the meat of the tyre and nail it without going onto the green stuff. It's now part of my plan for that corner, and I'm experimenting with it in other slow corners.

Comments, suggestions, etc?

your plan seems to have worked for you so far and it sounds like a good one to me. i predict you'll be losing your 'squid' status here shortly. :D

one thing i noticed about engine speeds when entering a corner...if it(the engine) was in a frenzy, so was i. i'm sure your approach will be calm and calculated, leading to your goals in a smooth and efficient manner.

If your SR's won't allow you to have a higher corner speed, then why not just go deeper into the corner. You can then use the same corner speed you're comfortable with, turn the bike, and now you'll have to turn it more and use up some of that lean angle you have to spare, and overall get thru the corner faster.

Then add a little of the pick-up drill on the way out to allow you to get on the throttle earlier and you're alot faster thru the corner and your corner speed never changed...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I'm new here. Hell I'm new to riding! (6 months) I have an '02 600 F4i. My brother-in-law is an advanced rider, with several track days and 15 years of riding and road racing experience so, I got some good vocal advice and instruction and utilized it from the beginning. I read half of "Twist II" and it helped tremendously. One day, after about 4 months of riding, my b-in-law said he was going to give me a lesson. We hadnt ridden together up to this point. To make a long story short He said " Damn't Boy!! You catch on quick!" He couldn't lose me in the corners. I stayed right on his ass and could even have passed him once. (only once. He got a bad line.) Anyway, in my effort to become even faster I went down lowside at 70 one night. Just a concussion and bruises. Wouldn't even have been that if it hadn't been for the fence post that holds the arrow sign on top telling you to Keep going that way. Arai saved my life. Thanks Arai. Joe Rocket saved my ass (from road rash). Thanks Joe. I've slowed down a little and am trying to work more on my technique and style. B-in-law said "You have to go slow to go fast." I wasn't far enough off the bike and leaned it just too far. Now I'm dragging knee on slow corners (50 or so) and feel much more in control. I need some track days though, to cool me down on the streets. My first track day is next month. I can't wait!!!

superdave88,

Bad advice--take a look at how much Val Rossi or Tommy Hayden rides and how fast they go and how little they crash as your roll model. Forget the "you don't know how fast you can go until you crash" advice, it leads you to the wrong conclusions and doesn't mean squat when it comes to learning how to do it right.

Keith

Sorry, It's just something I say to my, slower than me, buddies to make myself feel better about wiping out! One of them said "Why do always want to go faster? You're faster than most and the one's you're not faster than, you probably never will be!"