Lost My Way...

Hi guys, long time lurker, first time poster! :)

Sorry if this is the wrong part of the forum...

I'm 26 years old, currently racing a CBR600RR7, and doing pretty badly at the tiniest club meets here in the UK.

I started out on a Honda RS125 and managed to just get into BSB, with a best finish of 17th, I was very happy with that.

I started to get bigger and the 125 was no longer big enough for me, so I got a well specced 2000 R1, went back to club meetings and finishing mid field progressing all the time, then, and this is where the problems started, I got a GSXR1000 K7.

I assumed I would be instantly a couple of seconds a lap quicker, but it was the complete opposite, I had no confidence on that bike whatsoever, I started to get terrified of going out on it, and after two and half years with it, I gave up, it just was not fun anymore.

So, I got the 600, it feels a lot better, stiff and rigid like the 125 felt, I am starting to feel happier, but the times are not there, it is like I have forgotten how to ride, I know I can as I have rode a quick pace on the 125 and R1.

Where should I start? Perhaps this is to vague a question for the forum?

Any ideas/thoughts appreciated. :)

Well, it is pretty vague.So, sorry I can't offer any specific riding advice. However, my question is this, are your lap times really that bad, does your riding feel "all wrong" or uncomfortable to you or is it a matter of where you are finishing in the races?

Here in the states, the 600 class tends to be the largest and most competitive. Is it possible there is simply more and better competition?

Lastly, if you haven't read Keith's books or taken a school, I would recommend checking them out.

Cheers,

racer

Thanks for the reply, I have read all the books, great information, and I do try to apply a lot of it.

I wouldn't mind being last if I did my quickest ever lap...

When I was on the 125, it seemed so effortless, I didn't need to know the hows or whys, it just happened...

Maybe if my confidence returns it will all just 'click' again?

I spent several years racing 125's myself. I outgrew them sideways when I turned 40 and my winter coat didin't melt like it used to... lol.

Seriously, though, you are right in that it seemed physically effortless compared to a larger four stroke like a 600. Or even a 400... having all that weight to throw around takes a bit more muscle. As far as mentally effortless... hmm. I don't know. I started out on 600's and then went to two strokes and, to me, it takes a lot more mental effort tuning the machine and constantly tearing it down everyday throughout the weekend to check the ring grooves, piston skirts, under the crown, etc, etc, etc. I miss just rolling the bike out of the van, filling the tank with gas and not having to do another thing to it until I put it back in the van Sunday night. Oh well, there's always a trade off somewhere I suppose.

I think the best place to get an objective opinion about your riding would be from the coaches at a UK school session. I don't put much stock in the "maybe it will just click" plan.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm 26 years old, currently racing a CBR600RR7, and doing pretty badly at the tiniest club meets here in the UK.

I started out on a Honda RS125 and managed to just get into BSB, with a best finish of 17th, I was very happy with that.

I started to get bigger and the 125 was no longer big enough for me, so I got a well specced 2000 R1, went back to club meetings and finishing mid field progressing all the time, then, and this is where the problems started, I got a GSXR1000 K7.

I assumed I would be instantly a couple of seconds a lap quicker, but it was the complete opposite, I had no confidence on that bike whatsoever, I started to get terrified of going out on it, and after two and half years with it, I gave up, it just was not fun anymore.

So, I got the 600, it feels a lot better, stiff and rigid like the 125 felt, I am starting to feel happier, but the times are not there, it is like I have forgotten how to ride, I know I can as I have rode a quick pace on the 125 and R1.

First - have you just considered the fact that some guys can go fast on pretty much ANY bike - but that they are relatively few -

(eg rossi, shakey, corser, joey dunlop) - but most have a real affinity for one bike or type of bike or set-up (eg Stoner, Leon Haslam, Doohan, Foggy on a 916 etc etc)? Some guys (like me + Biaggi - Ha Ha ! ) need everything to be "just so" & others can do the best with what they are given. Some guys just CANNOT go fast on a particular bike that we KNOW is fast (eg currently melandri on that ducati ).

Second - I think IMHO that > 2yrs is way too long to stick with a bike you cant get on with. I'd try something else.

Third - have you thought whether it is one particular aspect that is wrong..... it is too easy to think that you're riding like ###### when it may be one part - maybe corner entry - that makes you feel that way when the rest is actually fine ? I had 2 offs in exactly the same place in very close succession last year at cadwell - barn - & that really hurt my confidence.

Fourth - why not go back to the smaller bikes, get your confidence up to 100% there (maybe inc coaching if needs be) & then try out a range of big bike to see which suits ? nearly Everybody raves about R6 & R1s ( + RC30s before now) - me, I just cant get on with any of them.

but 916, little NC30, ZX6R, = love em - note: these are all "planted" & "front-end" bikes & maybe that is what suits me: - I dont know, they just feel "right" & quite similar to me in a way. I dont know if this helps at all. PS - had a K5 GSXR600 & hated it !! TTFN. Ian