Gyroscopic Effect

stapleking

That is an open ended question with sooooooo many answers. Take Barber for example, the back straight chicane. It is about a 100 mph left to right flick. I will dip the gas to turn the left and get right back in it and for the left to right I will dip to about half throttle.

Streets of willow turn 11 to 12 (skid pad) I will come into it with the rear at the limit ( 3/4 throttle) and just before the right to left flick goose it to break the rear loose and as I drop the throttle use the front brake a tiny amount to get the bike to counter steer itself as the rear hooks up and tries to high side the bike. I would call this passive steering, I don't have to "steer the bike with the bars until it is almost upright.

That looks a lot scarier in writing!

Just two examples, the ends of the spectrum in answers to your question.

Will

[gulp!] ...never mind sir.

That is an open ended question with sooooooo many answers. Take Barber for example, the back straight chicane. It is about a 100 mph left to right flick. I will dip the gas to turn the left and get right back in it and for the left to right I will dip to about half throttle.

Streets of willow turn 11 to 12 (skid pad) I will come into it with the rear at the limit ( 3/4 throttle) and just before the right to left flick goose it to break the rear loose and as I drop the throttle use the front brake a tiny amount to get the bike to counter steer itself as the rear hooks up and tries to high side the bike. I would call this passive steering, I don't have to "steer the bike with the bars until it is almost upright.

That looks a lot scarier in writing!

Just two examples, the ends of the spectrum in answers to your question.

Will

WOW! Thats a bit too extreme for me at my current level! A move like that sounds like a demonstration of ultimate motorcycle control! I would like to see it done to get an idea of what thats like, maybe the next time you are at Streets Of Willow Springs you could have the video bike record you and stick it on the CSS youtube channel!

B