Differences In Steering Dampers

I would like to know what the differences between the top-mount (ohlins,hyperpro,etc.) and the rotary type (GPR,Scotts,etc.) are and which one would be a better choice. One of my thoughts on the top-mount was that it might be more prone to damage in the case of a crash. I really liked the way the GPR damper felt while riding the schools bike but am just curious about my options. Any feedback/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Most racers I know feel the top mounts are less prone to crash damage, unless you're talking tumbling violent crashs. The side mount style dampers have a long rod that seems to get easily bent in a smaller crash. I had an across the top of the tank mount style (like the Ducati 916/996) on my R6 and it was never damaged (3 lowsides, 1 highside) . I have not yet (and hope not to) crash test the new GPR on my ZX6R so can't comment, perhaps others can.

I've used rotary style dampers for years and never had a problem. Many of my bikes went ass over end, and not once did the damper get damaged. My painter loves me though :)

Thanks. I might consider the GPR but I must admit the top-mount Hyperpro does look a bit trick. Either way, they are all about the same price.