Consequences Of Not Hanging Off (enough)

Just thought I'd share this with you guys. I participate in a forum dedicated to the Honda CBR1100XX, and a thread regarding a track day crash was recently added..

http://www.cbrxx.com/general-cbr-xx-discus...crash-ouch.html

Looks like someone should be attending CSS level 1 before going LFO on the track, huh?

Leftlaner,

I had a look at the pictures, and here is the thing: I don't think him not hanging off was the reason for the crash, and him thinking that is the REAL and sole cause could lead him in the wrong direction to fix it. Maybe he'd like to come over here and we could go over it? I'm not going to tackle another forum right now :)

Also, what is LFO?

Best,

Cobie

Just thought I'd share this with you guys. I participate in a forum dedicated to the Honda CBR1100XX, and a thread regarding a track day crash was recently added..

http://www.cbrxx.com/general-cbr-xx-discus...crash-ouch.html

Looks like someone should be attending CSS level 1 before going LFO on the track, huh?

Leftlaner,

I had a look at the pictures, and here is the thing: I don't think him not hanging off was the reason for the crash, and him thinking that is the REAL and sole cause could lead him in the wrong direction to fix it. Maybe he'd like to come over here and we could go over it? I'm not going to tackle another forum right now :)

Also, what is LFO?

Best,

Cobie

Hummm.. He said that the hard parts were scraping till the point where his rear wheel was lifted up. He simply ran out of ground clearance. Looking at the pictures, it seems to me that his BP is waaay off (but I'm by far no expert!).. Sure, there could be OTHER things contributing to this crash as well I guess. But all in all I just can't help thinking that this crash might have been saved if he had moved the combined CG more inwards/downwards..??

Please, enlighten me..?

LFO= Low Flying Object :)

Hummm.. He said that the hard parts were scraping till the point where his rear wheel was lifted up. He simply ran out of ground clearance. Looking at the pictures, it seems to me that his BP is waaay off (but I'm by far no expert!).. Sure, there could be OTHER things contributing to this crash as well I guess. But all in all I just can't help thinking that this crash might have been saved if he had moved the combined CG more inwards/downwards..??

Please, enlighten me..?

LFO= Low Flying Object :)

OK, I need to clarify: he for sure ground out that's clear, I understand that. But lets define hanging off as moving the torso/butt off to the inside, even a little bit, even if one doesn't move the knee out.

The mass of a person's body is above the waist, so what we often see is a rider hanging off with the lower body, but not the upper. In fact, they COUNTER lean with the upper body. When that happens, too much lean angle is used, that should not be used. He counter leans his upper body, its apparent in the photo.

We had a great example of this a while back: 2 coaches, one newish, one seasoned. The coach in front was doing a lap, going his best pace, dragging a knee in every turn. Coach in back was making a game of following, but not hanging off AT ALL, ZERO--he stayed centered on the seat. He touched nothing down anywhere, and followed the coach in front.

This can really make a huge difference, and we work on this a lot at the schools.

Make sense?

Best,

Cobie

OK, I need to clarify: he for sure ground out that's clear, I understand that. But lets define hanging off as moving the torso/butt off to the inside, even a little bit, even if one doesn't move the knee out.

The mass of a person's body is above the waist, so what we often see is a rider hanging off with the lower body, but not the upper. In fact, they COUNTER lean with the upper body. When that happens, too much lean angle is used, that should not be used. He counter leans his upper body, its apparent in the photo.

We had a great example of this a while back: 2 coaches, one newish, one seasoned. The coach in front was doing a lap, going his best pace, dragging a knee in every turn. Coach in back was making a game of following, but not hanging off AT ALL, ZERO--he stayed centered on the seat. He touched nothing down anywhere, and followed the coach in front.

This can really make a huge difference, and we work on this a lot at the schools.

Make sense?

Best,

Cobie

Hehe, I get your drift for sure. If you read through that thread in the cbrxx forum, you will notice that I pointed out this as well. :)

Ain't no use in sliding the entire butt off the saddle unless the upper body follows. We're definately on the same page here, I guess we just kinda talked past each other. By "hanging off" I mean moving both the lower AND the upper body to the inside. I could have been a little more specific there, but I assumed that you read my comments in the cbrxx thread (I go by 'Leftlaner' there too).. Cheers!

Hehe, I get your drift for sure. If you read through that thread in the cbrxx forum, you will notice that I pointed out this as well. :)

Ain't no use in sliding the entire butt off the saddle unless the upper body follows. We're definately on the same page here, I guess we just kinda talked past each other. By "hanging off" I mean moving both the lower AND the upper body to the inside. I could have been a little more specific there, but I assumed that you read my comments in the cbrxx thread (I go by 'Leftlaner' there too).. Cheers!

Got it, I didn't read the whole thing (cbr thread), and we do get his at the School a lot. Guys hang off (often way too much) with their lower body, and counter lean with their upper body, big time. Can create a lot of problems!

Best,

C