Turning In

Hi

I done my level 1 at silverstone in the uk last year however i still have a problem at the initial turn in to most corners

the main problem is when i am about to turn the bike (lean it over) i get a sudden sensation of how fast i'm going even if it's only 60 mph and i back off the throttle too much and enter the corner too slow and sometimes reach for the brake!!!

I dont get this problem with slow corners eg. hairpins etc it's only when going fast!!!!

any advice on this will be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Dan

I find that using a no brake strategy even on the road can help to set your turn in speed. (Use brakes if you have to!)

Hi

I done my level 1 at silverstone in the uk last year however i still have a problem at the initial turn in to most corners

the main problem is when i am about to turn the bike (lean it over) i get a sudden sensation of how fast i'm going even if it's only 60 mph and i back off the throttle too much and enter the corner too slow and sometimes reach for the brake!!!

I dont get this problem with slow corners eg. hairpins etc it's only when going fast!!!!

any advice on this will be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Dan

Hi Dan,

If it is happening in a fast sweeper, it sounds like a survival reaction. Your body telling your brain instead of your brain telling your body, so to speak. IMO, your body can get away with this because your logical brain has no evidence to logically override the body. If it is a matter of holding it open or carrying more speed into a fast kink or sweeper, I find the best solution is to give your brain a helping hand and find some concrete evidence to the contrary to convince your brain that what you want to do is, in fact, possible. For instance, talking to other (faster) riders about what gear they are using or what they are doing with the throttle, etc. Or you can watch the corner up close, look and listen for brake points, turn points, gear changes, throttle control, etc. The bottom line is that if you KNOW you can hold it open or carry 4th gear hard, then it is easier to grit your teeth and force yourself to go for it the first time.

O-o-or you can continue to just grit your teeth and hope for the best... :)

Seriously though, like Bobby said, the "no brakes" drill is a good way to develop your entry speed and move forward one step at a time.

That said, some of this may be a mere matter of perception, practice and seat time. The "speed rush" will dissipate over time and the faster corners won't freak you out so much. For instance, you refer to "only 60 mph" in your post as if that were slow. Do you remember the first time you rode 60 mph on the motorway? Did it feel slow? ;)

racer

Hey Dan,

I wrote my previous reply half awake over morning coffee and I think I missed an important point you made. You said that this is happening in most corners.

I wonder if you have enough reference points (RP's) and a clear plan for your sub-products (SP's), like a turn point and apex? Are you moving your attention from your turn point into the corner before you turn? And if you are moving your attention around within the wide view? You said you took Level 1 at Silverstone... have you read the Twist of the Wrist books? Are you familiar with these terms?

Not having enough reference points can give you a feeling of being "rushed" at your turn entry. And not having a clear turn point or plan can leave you feeling uncertain.

Regards,

racer