Get Well Josh

Thanks for the heads-up, Shane.

Our prayers are with Josh and his name is now on several more prayer lists.

Based on Eric Dorn's write up on the WERA page... I've never met Josh, but, I'd sure like to. "Our sport needs 100x guys like Josh..."? I'd say our planet needs 100x more guys like Josh.

BR,

BH

PS - Having had my left hand essentially torn off the end of my arm, crushing the distal ends of the ulna and radius, "horribly comminuted wrist joint" as the bone doctor put it, and currently recovering from a C6 dislocation, crushing a nerve, leaving my left arm half numb and half in excruciating pain for two weeks now, with no prognosis... maybe it will get better... maybe not... I have some idea. What we give for our sport. I came here tonight to write a response to Misti's words about how many friends I have lost, how many friends I have watched die on the track in real time right in front of my living eyes... and now this...

sorry, that's enuf one handed typing tonight. i should stop before I get too maudlin...

Get well soon, Josh.

That's unfortunate to hear. Josh was my level 3 rider coach at Barber last week, he is such a cool guy. I wish him all the best on a speedy recovery.

Thanks for the heads-up, Shane.

Our prayers are with Josh and his name is now on several more prayer lists.

Based on Eric Dorn's write up on the WERA page... I've never met Josh, but, I'd sure like to. "Our sport needs 100x guys like Josh..."? I'd say our planet needs 100x more guys like Josh.

BR,

BH

PS - Having had my left hand essentially torn off the end of my arm, crushing the distal ends of the ulna and radius, "horribly comminuted wrist joint" as the bone doctor put it, and currently recovering from a C6 dislocation, crushing a nerve, leaving my left arm half numb and half in excruciating pain for two weeks now, with no prognosis... maybe it will get better... maybe not... I have some idea. What we give for our sport. I came here tonight to write a response to Misti's words about how many friends I have lost, how many friends I have watched die on the track in real time right in front of my living eyes... and now this...

sorry, that's enuf one handed typing tonight. i should stop before I get too maudlin...

Get well soon, Josh.

Wow. Josh was my coach at Level I school last year at mid-Ohio. Fun guy to work with. I didn't realize he was doing AMA racing until just the day before so I made sure to look for him in the race and saw him crash out. He walked away and waved so it didn't seem too bad at the time.

When crash events like this happen, does anyone know if there are there reports written up that companies who make protective gear can review? Every crash is different so if you can learn a little something from each real incident that might be helpful data. I'm sure without the gear he had things would have been much worse. In this case if I were a glove manufacturer I'd think about seeing if there is a way to put something like a 1 or 2" wide bracelet of sorts made of some strong material inside at the top of the gauntlet that wouldn't interfere with normal usage but would help protect against crushing forces that could damage this sensitive area. This might not be the best solution, I'm just making this up as I type, but my mind goes into gear when someone you like gets hurt.

Hey Steve,

I don't know of any reports of this kind off the top of my head, but, it should be a simple thing for you to track some down with a search engine. I imagine each manufacturer do their own testing in house. Road Racing World magazine used to do glove "crash test" articles/reports by having readers send in photos or examples of crashed gloves to analyze. Perhaps John could hook you up if you think that is important. Cornerworking groups should have a good deal of first-hand data, if not written reports.

FWIW:

My mentor used to tell me that if I found the problem, it was up to me to fix it. And if it's my idea, there's nobody better qualified than me to make it happen. Whatever compassion or energy that makes your "mind go into gear", that is the single most important quality to seeing an idea or project through to completion.

I think you could make the difference. I say run with that intention, tap into that mental energy and bring your idea to the attention of glove manufacturers and convince them of the need and market for such a protective "gauntlet".

If that fails... DIY.

Let me know what you find on those reports.

racer

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, saw nothing in RRW or Soup on this!! I just found out. Get well soon Josh. Josh was my level 2 coach and I try to say hello when he's at Infineon or Laguna Seca. At GP this year, I told him I was working in turn 8, Josh came over the the top of the 'screw on one wheel on the cooldown lap. Thanks racer and get well soon.

• 4 weeks later...

HOLY ######!!!!

Josh, man...I am SO sorry to hear about this! I just happened to check in to the forum and I see you suffered both a broken wrist/hand AND a C2 vertebrae fracture!!!

My best wishes for a speedy recovery and I'm sure you will be back to helping n00bs like me go fast in no time!!!!

Best wishes.

Chris.