Leaning

ak47

Hello all,

I am pretty new to riding, I currently ride a yzf600r I know that it is no superbike, but its still fun. I am joining this forum looking for some guidance, I could always use the knowledge and experience of others.

Well, my curiosity I guess is how much can I trust the bike to lean? I watch the moto gp circuit and I see these riders at maximum lean and they seem pretty deep.

When I am out on the street I know that the bike should be able to lean or corner very efficiently, I think that maybe I just have a fear of pushing it over further.

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi AK,

We'll of course suggest that you come to a school and get some training, but depending on where you are, might not be able to get that done right away (we even have a Lean Bike to help with this). Keith Code's books on riding, Twist 1 and Twist 2 have a ton of information, and you can start with that right away. The chapters on Throttle Control in Twist 2 will give you excellent info on how to stabilize the bike, get the best out of the tires and suspension too.

Is there a specific situation that makes you a little nervous while cornerning?

Best,

Cobie Fair

Chief Riding Coach

Hi AK,

We'll of course suggest that you come to a school and get some training, but depending on where you are, might not be able to get that done right away (we even have a Lean Bike to help with this). Keith Code's books on riding, Twist 1 and Twist 2 have a ton of information, and you can start with that right away. The chapters on Throttle Control in Twist 2 will give you excellent info on how to stabilize the bike, get the best out of the tires and suspension too.

Is there a specific situation that makes you a little nervous while cornerning?

Best,

Cobie Fair

Chief Riding Coach

Well first of all I want to thank you for your response, I am definatley going to come to the school in the next few months. I am very serious about riding and I want to be dedicated. When you ask if there is a specific situation that makes me nervous, I think there are a few things that make me nervous.

First I live in Colorado Springs, and we have some great mountain roads, lots of switch backs and really nice turns. I have started riding with a group of sport bikes and I see them practically carving up the canyon roads, and I am tired of being passed. Now I want to be safe, but at the same time I know that the bike should be capable of maintaing stability at higher speeds. I mean these guys are screaming around turns. I just think that maybe the fear comes from inexperience.

Secondly, I really want to develop properly as a rider, and maybe someday even race, now that I think about it, I guess my problem is fear.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

thaks

Well first of all I want to thank you for your response, I am definatley going to come to the school in the next few months. I am very serious about riding and I want to be dedicated. When you ask if there is a specific situation that makes me nervous, I think there are a few things that make me nervous.

First I live in Colorado Springs, and we have some great mountain roads, lots of switch backs and really nice turns. I have started riding with a group of sport bikes and I see them practically carving up the canyon roads, and I am tired of being passed. Now I want to be safe, but at the same time I know that the bike should be capable of maintaing stability at higher speeds. I mean these guys are screaming around turns. I just think that maybe the fear comes from inexperience.

Secondly, I really want to develop properly as a rider, and maybe someday even race, now that I think about it, I guess my problem is fear.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

thaks

Hi AK,

For sure some education will be the right start. The Twist of the Wrist books are great, and Twist 2 will get you key fundamentals you can work on any time you ride. The chapters on Throttle Control alone will be a tremendous help. Reading the book, and then coming to the school is what a lot do, and having the book(s) read just makes the school go that much better.

I love the roads in the Rocky Mountains (from NM), and they can be challenging!

Best,

Cobie