Neutral Handling Tires Vs Enhanced Handling Tires

F4imane

Ok some of the guys I talk to have made remarks that they prefer tires that are more neutral in handling, their example was pirelli. Some of the guys said they like tires that make it easier to turn & lean into curves example 2ct''s. I have only rode 1 set of tires so far, M-1''s Sportec''s. I am researching tires gettin ready to buy for next riding season. I plan on doing as many track days at a few tracks in my area and doing your school in may. But most of my riding will be done on the street.My question is why do some of you like a neutral tire? Examples would be because? Wouldnt everyone want a tire that makes it easier to turn sharper or extra performance?!? What are the Pro''s and Con''s of both neutral vs extra handling tires? Or are these guys crazy and there really isnt much of a difference in that area? What have yal noticed?

I think what you are refering to is the tire's profile.

A more triangulated profile will allow the bike to drop into the corner quicker and provide a larger contact patch when leaned over. The down side is the bike will be less stable.

A more rounded profile will be more stable but won't drop in as fast.

On the '04 - '05 ZX10 if you used a front tire with a triangulated profile, the bike would head shake like crazy. A more rounded profile was much better on this bike.

On a big CC bike like a 1000 I much prefer a more rounded profile front, just because it is more stable and I like that feel better.

stuman ya that is what I am talking about, the profile of the tire being more triangular or rounded. It makes perfect sense that a more triangular tire will be able to flick easier and faster with less input. But you said that it will "provide a larger contact patch when leaned over. The down side is the bike will be less stable." If it has a larger contact patch you logic would say it would be MORE stable??

stuman ya that is what I am talking about, the profile of the tire being more triangular or rounded. It makes perfect sense that a more triangular tire will be able to flick easier and faster with less input. But you said that it will "provide a larger contact patch when leaned over. The down side is the bike will be less stable." If it has a larger contact patch you logic would say it would be MORE stable??

I think what stuman refers to is less stable in a straight line with more tendency to headshake, when leaned over the bike will have a more planted feel, at least that is my experience.