Peter Lenz At Firebird.

I got a text from a friend saying that Peter Lenz was out at Firebird. I got cancelled from work, and forgot all about the racing. I rode out, and after a few couple sessions they let the smaller bikes out, and number 45 hit the track.

It's a down and back track. The straight is on one side, and the way back is twisty. I can't say if he's ever been out there, but he rode like he was really familiar with the track. He took one line over a pair of rumble strips that I had never seen before, and I don't know if it was faster because it was a pretty spread group and I didn't have any other bikes to gage it off of. I thought he made a mistake the first time around, but when he did it repeatedly, I saw that it was his line of choice.

The best way to describe watching him go around the track is to say it's like watching a short person in a slam dunk contest. No matter what a tall person does, it doesn't look as cool as watching someone Spud Webb's height launch through the air. 150-200+ lb people, one after another, roar through a corner very close to the pits on their 600's or liter bikes, and only a few of the better riders out there stand out. Our local star Rick, and Kane Lasky who rides for Kawasaki, are awesome to watch every time they come around. Then there's Peter. He's small, his bike is small, and he looks like he's whipping through the corners like no one ever has. It's pretty cool.

I don't know if he raced, or how he did, but I'll post his results if he did race.

I got a text from a friend saying that Peter Lenz was out at Firebird. I got cancelled from work, and forgot all about the racing. I rode out, and after a few couple sessions they let the smaller bikes out, and number 45 hit the track.

It's a down and back track. The straight is on one side, and the way back is twisty. I can't say if he's ever been out there, but he rode like he was really familiar with the track. He took one line over a pair of rumble strips that I had never seen before, and I don't know if it was faster because it was a pretty spread group and I didn't have any other bikes to gage it off of. I thought he made a mistake the first time around, but when he did it repeatedly, I saw that it was his line of choice.

The best way to describe watching him go around the track is to say it's like watching a short person in a slam dunk contest. No matter what a tall person does, it doesn't look as cool as watching someone Spud Webb's height launch through the air. 150-200+ lb people, one after another, roar through a corner very close to the pits on their 600's or liter bikes, and only a few of the better riders out there stand out. Our local star Rick, and Kane Lasky who rides for Kawasaki, are awesome to watch every time they come around. Then there's Peter. He's small, his bike is small, and he looks like he's whipping through the corners like no one ever has. It's pretty cool.

I don't know if he raced, or how he did, but I'll post his results if he did race.

I spoke with Keith at Laguna today and he said that Peter won two of the three races he entered; that if he had gotten a better start he would have swept the podium...he's that good!

Kevin

The kid is busting out with :59-1:00 times on a 125 cc. The top guys on their 600's and 1000's who've been doing the track for years are cranking out :56. And he set the 125 lap record on his first visit. Amazing.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...