New Here. Signing Up For Barber

Hi all. I have been wanting to take this school since 2005 when I first started riding but my schedule has not allowed it. But I'm planning on doing the school on June 6th at Barber. I currently race for WERA/CMRA but have never had any real instruction. So I'm looking to learn as much as I can. I started riding a TL1000R and have gotten smaller bikes ever since in an attempt at starting small to make for a better rider. I never had the luxury to start on a bike when I was a kid and work my way up. I started when I was 26. So that's why I am currently racing a 2008 250R and a SV650. Will running my 250 be a problem there? I do ok on it and am currently leading the N.F and S.E. region for novice.

Well just figured I'd introduce myself and say that I can't wait to take the school. Would Level 1 be the best place to start? Or do I even have a choice?

Dustin

Welcome Dustin,

Barber was where I attended my first Keith Code school. You will be fine but I think you are going to have somewhat of an advantage for the no brakes drill on a 250.

I have given this advice before so here it goes again. Free your mind of what you think you know and open your mind to the instruction you will get. Because you are an accomplished rider, you might think what you are doing is unnecessary or you might try to look past a drill in hopes of getting where you think you should be. Relax, Relax, Relax. Be conscious of the experince and don't let one drill pass with out your complete participation. Barber is a beautiful track, CSS is a first class outfit and I promise you will have a great experience. So don't get in a hurry or the day will be over to soon.

Thanks for the advice. I am going in with a COMPLETE open mind to it. I have not had any formal training and would really really like to get better. I have read the books and tried to apply them as much as possible to my riding aswell. 1 good/bad thing is that I will be racing there two weeks before the school. I have been there 4 times before and love the track.

I just can't wait to have someone who tell me what I am doing wrong instead of me trying to figure it out on my own.

Also is there anything Glaringly obviously wrong with my body positioning in these pics?

SBP_6556.jpg

2936341596_85bb1d29f5_b.jpg

Thanks for the advice. I am going in with a COMPLETE open mind to it. I have not had any formal training and would really really like to get better. I have read the books and tried to apply them as much as possible to my riding aswell. 1 good/bad thing is that I will be racing there two weeks before the school. I have been there 4 times before and love the track.

I just can't wait to have someone who tell me what I am doing wrong instead of me trying to figure it out on my own.

Hi Cajun. I read your intro with elation. Glad to have you aboard.

I can't see anything wrong with you BP in the photos, however here's a suggestion (if that's okay with you):

Let's focus more on what you do RIGHT than what you do wrong, make sense?

Sounds fair.

Glad I found the forum too, will help with the time I have to wait for June to arrive.

Heck I even have some video from the last race from behind me (unfortunately he passes me on the last lap, but he's an expert) that can be further critiqued.

Thanks again guys for the warm welcome.

Well just figured I'd introduce myself and say that I can't wait to take the school. Would Level 1 be the best place to start? Or do I even have a choice?

Dustin

Dustin;

Welcome to the Forum and I am glad JB and Fossil Fuel already reached out to you after you joined our international community. As to your specific question - everybody starts at Level I. You will appreciate why once you attend Level I and if you are already racing, you will see that the upper levels will give you an even better understanding of how to be more efficient and effective at this game.

Kevin

Dustin

Dustin;

Welcome to the Forum and I am glad JB and Fossil Fuel already reached out to you after you joined our international community. As to your specific question - everybody starts at Level I. You will appreciate why once you attend Level I and if you are already racing, you will see that the upper levels will give you an even better understanding of how to be more efficient and effective at this game.

Kevin

Cool that works for me!

Yeah Fossil. The first pic is Jennings and the second is NPR. How in the hell did you notice that!?!?!? That is our little ghetto track. Crappy but we call it home.

Dustin,

I new the first one was Jennings, turn 1. You aren't going that fast! Turn one you should be dragging an elbow! The second picture, My first wife was a coon ass so I know what Louisiana looks like.

P.S. Do you tend to ride holding the end of the bars where part of your palm is on the bar end slider? It looks like that in the picture.

Dustin,

I new the first one was Jennings, turn 1. You aren't going that fast! Turn one you should be dragging an elbow! The second picture, My first wife was a coon ass so I know what Louisiana looks like.

P.S. Do you tend to ride holding the end of the bars where part of your palm is on the bar end slider? It looks like that in the picture.

Naa. If you blow up the pic (or look at the orginal) you can see the bar end cap. Just looks that way in the pic.

You ever been to NPR?

Dustin,

Naa. If you blow up the pic (or look at the orginal) you can see the bar end cap. Just looks that way in the pic.

You ever been to NPR?

You can't get there from here! I mean its a little hard to get to from I-12 or I-10, a little out of the way for me..and I heard the tracks in bad shape? Good Luck in June

Dustin,

You ever been to NPR?

You can't get there from here! I mean its a little hard to get to from I-12 or I-10, a little out of the way for me..and I heard the tracks in bad shape? Good Luck in June

Naa it's not in that bad of shape. No worse than a couple other places. Plus the guy who runs the Trackday org there is great. Already took the proceedes from the school and bought an air fence. The only Trackday org in the south to own it's own air fence.

Naa it's not in that bad of shape. No worse than a couple other places. Plus the guy who runs the Trackday org there is great. Already took the proceedes from the school and bought an air fence. The only Trackday org in the south to own it's own air fence.

You'd think they'd be more common. Geez, they must be mondo expensive.

Dustin,

You ever been to NPR?

Dustin,

My son lives in Prarieville. I'll give him a call and see if he wants to follow the old man around the track.

Dustin,

You ever been to NPR?

Yeah come on down. It's cheap to run. But it is fun. It's only at record setting paces that I would guess it is deemed "unsafe"

The Airfence IS expensive. $10,000. But he took all the money earned from the trackdays and put it towards that. That's the type of guy he is and the type of org he runs. No other trackday org can say that.

Dustin,

My son lives in Prarieville. I'll give him a call and see if he wants to follow the old man around the track.