Road Bike To Track Bike

To all the people that have turned their roadbike into a trackbike, I am looking for advice please!

I am thinking of turning my cbr600rr roadbike into a designated trackday toy, I dont need it set to such standards as a competitive race bike, but only for some trackday fun! I was wondering about the school bikes, are they just standard roadbikes with track bodywork put on and if so what parts do you remove besides the obvious headlights and indicators?

Also how often do you service your bikes?

thanks

B

To all the people that have turned their roadbike into a trackbike, I am looking for advice please!

I am thinking of turning my cbr600rr roadbike into a designated trackday toy, I dont need it set to such standards as a competitive race bike, but only for some trackday fun! I was wondering about the school bikes, are they just standard roadbikes with track bodywork put on and if so what parts do you remove besides the obvious headlights and indicators?

thanks

B

The WERA website has some good gouge on making a bike track-worthy.

thanks

B

Thanks Jay, I had a look at the WERA site but could only find safety wirelocking details! As I said I'm not actually building a racebike, so dont need to meet any specific regulations, I'm just basically going to stick a track fairing on my roadbike and turn it into a trackday bike so that I can practice my techniques on track with confidence without having to worry about getting home at the end of the day if the worst happens!

It is most likely a simple procedure to remove road bodywork, lights, indicators and mirrors then stick on some track plastics and take it to the track, but I'm just wondering if any others have done this with their bikes, as would be interested in any hints and tips people may have!

thanks

B

Thanks Jay, I had a look at the WERA site but could only find safety wirelocking details! As I said I'm not actually building a racebike, so dont need to meet any specific regulations, I'm just basically going to stick a track fairing on my roadbike and turn it into a trackday bike so that I can practice my techniques on track with confidence without having to worry about getting home at the end of the day if the worst happens!

It is most likely a simple procedure to remove road bodywork, lights, indicators and mirrors then stick on some track plastics and take it to the track, but I'm just wondering if any others have done this with their bikes, as would be interested in any hints and tips people may have!

Sounds like you got it to me....take off all that stuff and insurance too (LOL).

Certainly you'll want to take the bodywork off, add frame sliders if you can, some guys also put on handlebar sliders and swingarm ones as well. If this is to be a track bike only, I would reccomend lockwiring at least your oil drain bolt, oil filter, rad cap and drain bolt, you might also want to switch to distilled water or water wetter in your rad. Male sure to change back to coolant in off season if you live somwhere cold. I've seen 2 bikes this year with cracked heads because they weren't changed back.