My 5/17 Trackday.

Hot. That's the only way to sum it up. I did pretty well, save a couple corners I was continuously having problems with. There were some really fast switchbacks, and it's great to pop the bike back and forth. Also a long straight. 148 mph before I had to grabs the brakes and dip into a carousel. I did well, but took off too much speed, as I always do going through fast sections.

I initially went down to the superstreet group because I wasn't familiar with the track, and after the siting laps I found how tricky it was going to be. I found the rhythm of the track real quick, and messed up the first session getting stuck behind the liter bikes that whipped past me on the straight. I moved back up to the intermediate group and was able to learn from all the faster riders. I picked up my pace through the day and ended up being faster than a couple people (except for the straight).

The problem was the heat. It got hotter than anticipated. Faster than anticipated. The day before the trackday I had to chase down a psych patient who had overdosed on medication, was brought in my his mother, and didn't want to stay to have his stomach pumped (go figure). I hurt my shoulder a bit, and scraped up my arm from my forearm to my upper arm sliding on the grass when I caught him. Putting on the suit and taking it off was bad enough on my shoulder, but with the intense heat at 145+ for a few seconds gave the wound time to stick to my undershirt. No, I didn't dress it. After the straight, when I sat up to brake, it would rip off. Again and again. Toward the end of the day, that, and not being able to drink enough water and gatorade to keep up with my body's needs, I started cramping and losing focus. I called it a day a little short because I feared I was going to do something stupid. It's the last trackday of the summer, save an August trackday for the brave, until September.

The thermometer reading is in the shade.

3539249793_c01810a1d6.jpg

3539249881_aec5758e64.jpg

3540062566_12b615aca6.jpg

Temps there are insane. YOU CAN HAVE IT!!! I'll visit ya, but that's about it (LOL).

I'm surprised that you have time or inclination to look at your speedo. Do you find that it hinders you from developing and refining your own sense of speed?

I'm surprised that you have time or inclination to look at your speedo. Do you find that it hinders you from developing and refining your own sense of speed?

GPS saves my fastest speed. There's no other place on the track where I'm going to hit that speed. But it's a straight. You shouldn't have to use your whole $10 there anyway. If you're giving it that much, you're not taking that mental break.

While I was on Main, there was a CCS race going on. This wreck involves Rick, our local fast guy who's won every race this year until this crash. Rick was alright, but Zac, the guy on the red bike, broke his pelvis. Rick was able to race again, but ended up crashing in the next race, and braking his femur, ankle, and a vertebrae in his neck. They're both healing well, but Rick needed surgery the night of the accident.

http://www.southwestrides.com/vbulletin/sh...7841#post107841