Leaning Perception

Ok, hopefully the June 13th class will help as well, but until then... are there any techniques for correcting your perception? I'm not dragging knees and logically understand I have more lean angle, but still "can't" go lower.

It's been a while since I've read the Twist books, so I'm going to refresh myself before the class.

Any suggestions??? Or just quit being a wuss and do it :blink: Oh, and I will admit, while leaned over, I do say to myself - don't go lower, or you'll tuck the front. Again... logically I know it's in my head and I can go lower; I'm just finding it hard to overcome. Body position, needs inprovement, but: half off the seat, outside knee in the tank, looking through the turn, somewhat kissin' the mirror.

Any help is appreciated,

Josh

Ok, hopefully the June 13th class will help as well, but until then... are there any techniques for correcting your perception? I'm not dragging knees and logically understand I have more lean angle, but still "can't" go lower.

It's been a while since I've read the Twist books, so I'm going to refresh myself before the class.

Any suggestions??? Or just quit being a wuss and do it :blink: Oh, and I will admit, while leaned over, I do say to myself - don't go lower, or you'll tuck the front. Again... logically I know it's in my head and I can go lower; I'm just finding it hard to overcome. Body position, needs inprovement, but: half off the seat, outside knee in the tank, looking through the turn, somewhat kissin' the mirror.

Any help is appreciated,

Josh

Personally, I find that I can experiment with lean angle more easily if I hang off less, or not at all. That way I can keep about the same speed through the turn but have to lean over farther, AND I take away that combo of more lean angle plus hanging off, which pushes two of my "uh-oh" buttons at the same time, if you know what I mean. So essentially I can sit in a more secure position and lean more without having to go faster, so I tackle one thing at a time, then once I get more comfortable I can add the hanging-off part back in or add more speed.

I also find that I can experiment more easily in long sweepers - more time to sense the lean angle, easier to get a smooth roll-on to stabilize the bike, more room, etc., versus trying to 'snap' the bike to a really sharp lean. And you aren't trying to do it at turn-in so you don't feel as much like you are going to tuck the front.

Hope that helps...

Thanks. You do bring up some good points; especially the one thing at a time -- seems like a common theme throughout the forum ;):lol:

And, I'm much better at longer, faster, sweeping turns. The tight, quick, slower right/left flickin' stuff is what really gets me...

Definitely have more of those SR's to get over. :(

After spending lots of time studying BP, I've really come to dislike the "face where the mirror should be" saying. The thing I've been telling the couple of people who have asked my advice, is "get your chest on the tank and slide it over," and it seems to work better. I thought for the longest time I was getting way down, and when I looked at the pictures that were taken, I was still sitting up and wasn't cornering properly.

One of the things about getting so far down, besides the center of gravity change, is getting your head closer to the ground. If you're sitting up, and put your head down and turn the bike suddenly or in a rough motion, your body wants to respond because your brain is sensing that it is falling. Work on making it a smooth motion, and you'll be alright.

I really do most of my BP work in medium speed carousels. Long 180 degree turns where I can really see how the change in BP works and feel the bike moving under me. Just a little more speed while you're going through the corner, and most of all KEEP YOUR HEAD UP AND IN THE DIRECTION YOU WANT TO GO. If you're a little hot, make sure some of your focus is on consciously making sure you're still looking where you want to go.

Pay attention to what you're doing because knowing what you did is the best way to correct the things you've noticed that works and what doesn't.

When I thought my face was where the mirror would be. When you're not focusing on it, who knows where you're at:

1624.jpg

This photo was taken while I was doing my first session of "put your chest on the tank" attempt. There is no doubt that you will know where your body is:

DSC02652.jpg

I thought for the longest time I was getting way down, and when I looked at the pictures that were taken, I was still sitting up and wasn't cornering properly.

Thanks man, that statement really resonates... reminds me of, just about, every time I saw pictures taken of me. gonna try to remember: titty to tank. ;):lol: