Turn Point & Mid Corner Correcting

Wurn

Hey all, allmost done reading A Twist of the wrist II and besides being really insightfull it also had a downside if you will. Downside being now that i am learning what to do i tend to concentrate on what to do (correctly) and not focussing on riding the bike, <_< also the biggest thing is that for some weird reason i tend to be more safety concious after reading Twist II so when riding I tend to concentrate on doing the right things more. Is it normal?

But anywhoo what i would like to ask you guys are:

1. How do i get to know where a corners Turn point is? Specifically Road riding, even after riding the same road everyday i still feel i am taking a couple of turn wrong. (lazy turning). Looking at the image here http://www.leics.gov.uk/bends.gif where excately is the correct turn point?

2. This morning in a corner that i ride everyday on my way to work, mid corner (its a 150kmh turn) i managed to push the bike even lower than ever before. Surely this is not right even if the bike felt stable?

The thing is the 2004 Fireblade is not that easy to quickly turn into a corner, over certain speeds or am i wrong? :o

Hey all, allmost done reading A Twist of the wrist II and besides being really insightfull it also had a downside if you will. Downside being now that i am learning what to do i tend to concentrate on what to do (correctly) and not focussing on riding the bike, <_< also the biggest thing is that for some weird reason i tend to be more safety concious after reading Twist II so when riding I tend to concentrate on doing the right things more. Is it normal?

1. How do i get to know where a corners Turn point is? Specifically Road riding, even after riding the same road everyday i still feel i am taking a couple of turn wrong. (lazy turning). Looking at the image here http://www.leics.gov.uk/bends.gif where excately is the correct turn point?

2. This morning in a corner that i ride everyday on my way to work, mid corner (its a 150kmh turn) i managed to push the bike even lower than ever before. Surely this is not right even if the bike felt stable?

The thing is the 2004 Fireblade is not that easy to quickly turn into a corner, over certain speeds or am i wrong? :o

Hi Firebeast,

Thanks for your post on our Forum.

OK, Firstly, glad you enjoyed reading Keith's bible. Whilst it can be a little tough going at times, it really has so much great information in to read, and keep going back to again and again, and again. Have a read of it, go try something, go back and re-read it, and so on.

Its right what you've observed, now your more aware of what you're doing, you'll be thinking more about the what, the whys, etc. etc. I'm afraid the only way to make this easier is to slow down a little and try and concentrate on just one thing at once otherwise you can just overwhelm the poor brain. :-)

As for your questions : -

1) How do I get to know where to turn, (well, we teach that on Level 1)

2)Lean angel is combination of speed, of the line and the radius of the turn and your ability to turn the bike quickly. I'm glad to say, we also teach these aspects on level 1.

3), it always becomes more difficult to turn a bike at greater speed because of the gyroscopic rotational force of the front wheel, however, most riders can dramatically improve their ability to turn their bike quickly and would you believe it, we have a drill for that also on level 1.

Should you decide to visit us at a School date, all of your areas of observation and interest will be covered in great depth in the classroom with Andy Ibbott, and then practiced on track in a systematic manner with an on track coach to remove confusion and to ensure you really understand are able to leave the day with improvement in your skills. Additionally, we have great fun doing it too! :-)

I hope this helped with your query?

Bullet

(UK Riding coach)

Hey Bullet and thx for the reply. Ive posted couple of other question here in the past, just to let you know. ;)

As for doing a school day well its kinda impossible for me seeing as i live in South Africa. Although looking at this it seems Andy Ibbot is on his way here.

http://www.track-daze.co.za/

Problem is that its kinda steep in price at the moment (recession hitting me slightly) for me and worst than that is the fact that its on 2 tracks that are very far away from Cape Town where i live. About 1000+ km's away. SO ill have to find accomodation somewhere close to the track and i bike to use etc... I will have to plan maybe doing one next year if you guys come around again (hopefully).

Otherwise ill slow down as you suggested and take one thing at a time. But yes, doing a school day will help even more than reading Twist 2.

Hi Firebeast,

OK, Firstly, glad you enjoyed reading Keith's bible. Whilst it can be a little tough going at times, it really has so much great information in to read, and keep going back to again and again, and again. Have a read of it, go try something, go back and re-read it, and so on.

Its right what you've observed, now your more aware of what you're doing, you'll be thinking more about the what, the whys, etc. etc. I'm afraid the only way to make this easier is to slow down a little and try and concentrate on just one thing at once otherwise you can just overwhelm the poor brain. :-)

2)Lean angel is combination of speed, of the line and the radius of the turn and your ability to turn the bike quickly. I'm glad to say, we also teach these aspects on level 1.

3), it always becomes more difficult to turn a bike at greater speed because of the gyroscopic rotational force of the front wheel, however, most riders can dramatically improve their ability to turn their bike quickly and would you believe it, we have a drill for that also on level 1.

Should you decide to visit us at a School date, all of your areas of observation and interest will be covered in great depth in the classroom with Andy Ibbott, and then practiced on track in a systematic manner with an on track coach to remove confusion and to ensure you really understand are able to leave the day with improvement in your skills. Additionally, we have great fun doing it too! :-)

Bullet

(UK Riding coach)

Hi Firebeast,

Bullet

(UK Riding coach)

No problem my friend, I'm new to the forum myself, as I'm going to be helping out a bit on the Forum where I can.

We do indeed visit SA, normally twice a year, early in the year, and again at the end. We run normal school's essentially, but all of the organisation, bikes etc is provide in country. I've never personally been to SA, but I here the track at Kyalami is incredible, the days are very well attended, and the weather is great to boot.

With luck, we'll see you either this, or next year, and we can continue to help you improve your cornering!

Bullet

(UK Riding coach)

Thx Bullet, well if you guys are here 2 times a year and the bikes are supplied, well that makes it easier i suppose. But trust me when i say that i will definately in the near future attend a California Superbikes school. :rolleyes:

OH and i think you need to get here man, besides the weather being excellent our mountain passes here in Cape Town are great with good asphalt surfaces and best of all next year the World Footballers will be here, which is great for SA methinks.

As it is i made some improvements in my cornering today, by concentrating on not doing too much at once. I will try going slower and focussing on what i have read but damn when the Fireblade wants to move she wants to move you know ;)

Hi Firebeast,

Bullet

(UK Riding coach)

No problem my friend, I'm new to the forum myself, as I'm going to be helping out a bit on the Forum where I can.

We do indeed visit SA, normally twice a year, early in the year, and again at the end. We run normal school's essentially, but all of the organisation, bikes etc is provide in country. I've never personally been to SA, but I here the track at Kyalami is incredible, the days are very well attended, and the weather is great to boot.

With luck, we'll see you either this, or next year, and we can continue to help you improve your cornering!

Bullet

(UK Riding coach)

Thx Bullet, well if you guys are here 2 times a year and the bikes are supplied, well that makes it easier i suppose. But trust me when i say that i will definately in the near future attend a California Superbikes school. :rolleyes:

OH and i think you need to get here man, besides the weather being excellent our mountain passes here in Cape Town are great with good asphalt surfaces and best of all next year the World Footballers will be here, which is great for SA methinks.

As it is i made some improvements in my cornering today, by concentrating on not doing too much at once. I will try going slower and focussing on what i have read but damn when the Fireblade wants to move she wants to move you know ;)

Hi Firebeast,

Bullet

(UK Riding coach)

Bullet

(UK Riding coach)

Thanks man. I'm definitely going to try and get out to SA in this next year, possibly in the new year might work as with all pretty much all the coaching staff in the UK, I have a fulltime job as well and so its vacation time for me and you only get so much of it I guess.

Glad you've made some improvement, practice, practice and more practice is the key word, going out and enjoying yourself, but maybe take sometime out to do something with a purpose of just learning and understanding is a good plan that always works well for me personally.

Yeah them Fireblades are plenty bike enough for anyone, they can definitely pull the skin or a rice pudding without even breaking sweat.

Stay safe man.

Bullet

(UK Riding coach)

Hi Firebeast,

If you can make it to one of the Trackdaze days to Phakisa, I know it is a long way away, you can chat to some of the guys that have done CSS in SA. We do have 2 SA coaches, and we are generally at all the Trackdaze events.

The CSS days for SA at Kyalami are 7-8 October this year. Hope to see you there.

Take care,

Appanna