Tire Storage

Since my favorite tire has recently been discontinued (see the other tire thread going on right now), I am considering buying a few sets of them now, while I can still get them, which begs the question - how long can I store them and how fresh do they need to be when I buy them? I know this has probably been discussed before, but I couldn't easily find the info, so here is the question again.

I know how to look at the manufacture date, but how old is OK? A year? 6 months? And if I store the tires in a garage (which can get hot) how long before they start to go off? Can I store them another 6 months?

I have gotten spoiled buying tires right at the track, where I know they have been recently manufactured and stored properly. Now I am going to have to find discontinued tires from suppliers that still have them - so I might be getting some stuff that's been sitting on a shelf for a long time. How old is too old? :(

Since my favorite tire has recently been discontinued (see the other tire thread going on right now), I am considering buying a few sets of them now, while I can still get them, which begs the question - how long can I store them and how fresh do they need to be when I buy them? I know this has probably been discussed before, but I couldn't easily find the info, so here is the question again.

I know how to look at the manufacture date, but how old is OK? A year? 6 months? And if I store the tires in a garage (which can get hot) how long before they start to go off? Can I store them another 6 months?

I have gotten spoiled buying tires right at the track, where I know they have been recently manufactured and stored properly. Now I am going to have to find discontinued tires from suppliers that still have them - so I might be getting some stuff that's been sitting on a shelf for a long time. How old is too old? :(

Sport Rider did a piece on that very topic awhile back. Perhaps a search will yield results.

Sorry, I can't do it right now. It's late here on the east coast and I've gotta get to bed. Hopefully the morrow will yield some results.