Lets Talk About Low Sides...

kawdude636

Had my first lowside on the 10r at Gingerman Raceway in Michigan...I was exiting turn 3 which is the tightest turn of the 11 corners. It is a slow cover so I was in first and was rolling on the throttle @ max lean felt her step out and that was it...The reason I'm starting this thread is I'm newer to track riding and already addicted for life. Nothing like it for sure...Draggin knees my first day out on every corner and nailing apex's made me want more...I think I might have gotten too greedy with the gas on the exit. I want to know about your lowside crashes, what events led to the crash (so you think or know). Turn 3 is the most difficult turn there with a crest right before turn in that unsettles the suspension. The lowside however was on the exit...I just want to hear about your low sides and what you think might help me from it. Be in second...??? I do have a 165 dyno'd hp bike...thanks for all who reply!!!

Had my first lowside on the 10r at Gingerman Raceway in Michigan...I was exiting turn 3 which is the tightest turn of the 11 corners. It is a slow cover so I was in first and was rolling on the throttle @ max lean felt her step out and that was it...The reason I'm starting this thread is I'm newer to track riding and already addicted for life. Nothing like it for sure...Draggin knees my first day out on every corner and nailing apex's made me want more...I think I might have gotten too greedy with the gas on the exit. I want to know about your lowside crashes, what events led to the crash (so you think or know). Turn 3 is the most difficult turn there with a crest right before turn in that unsettles the suspension. The lowside however was on the exit...I just want to hear about your low sides and what you think might help me from it. Be in second...??? I do have a 165 dyno'd hp bike...thanks for all who reply!!!

Maybe you were too tight on the bars.

I used to go through turn 7 at Beaverun with my arms real tense and tight. I think the reason I was so tense and tight was because I was afraid of low-siding. Turn 7 is real bumpy from the cars that run there. It's really bad if you get out of an ideal line. One time I felt the front slide and that made me go back and think about what I could have been doing wrong. After that I went back out and just relaxed my entire body as much as I could and never felt that front-end sliding feeling again, unless I was going 110%.

Just a thought...... Hope you figure it out man. I hate it when I have problems and can't seem to find a solution.

Some thoughts which might help you to analyze the situation...

"Software"

- Did this happen at end or beginning of session and track day? How's your body position and control? Too tight on the clip-ons perhaps?

- Wrong line? Lazy turn; Too much lean? Bodywork contact with asphalt? More bumpy line??

- Charging? Too late on the throttle? Too much load on front tyre?

- Any changes in conditions: rain drops, dust, oil and/or coolant from other bikes? Washers/nuts whatever..

- Smooth or aggressive control??

"Hardware"

- What tires? Too much speed and lean for the tire? Normal DOT, compound DOT (like Supercorsa) or slicks? Tire pressure?

- Fork setup? Wrong SAG: Too much pre-tension or Too little pre-tension? Too much rebound damp?

Some thoughts which might help you to analyze the situation...

"Software"

- Did this happen at end or beginning of session and track day? How's your body position and control? Too tight on the clip-ons perhaps?

- Wrong line? Lazy turn; Too much lean? Bodywork contact with asphalt? More bumpy line??

- Charging? Too late on the throttle? Too much load on front tyre?

- Any changes in conditions: rain drops, dust, oil and/or coolant from other bikes? Washers/nuts whatever..

- Smooth or aggressive control??

"Hardware"

- What tires? Too much speed and lean for the tire? Normal DOT, compound DOT (like Supercorsa) or slicks? Tire pressure?

- Fork setup? Wrong SAG: Too much pre-tension or Too little pre-tension? Too much rebound damp?

I was feeling rushed. I didn't have my line at all I was running wide. I was at max lean and getting on the throttle too much so I didn't run too wide. Tires are excellent up to temp, surface was excellent. Suspension was feeling great, I was really leaned over far and on the throttle before the bike had a larger contact patch. I believe it was a rear slide that took me out. The bike lowsided on video from a rear wheel slide for sure...I have a zx-10r that is really fast, was in the tightest corner there and in first...I think too much throttle and way to agressive lean angle. I would like to hear more about other peoples lowsides and what they discovered was the reasoning for the crash. Trying to get a grasp on analyzing this. Thanks for all of your replys!!!

I haven't low sided yet but I know something that you might have done wrong in that situation. Did you change your lean angle at the same time you got back on or increased the throttle? Lowering your lean angle + throttle usually makes the rear end step out extremely fast. There was a thread and video on it a while ago, I'm not sure where it is now.

Even on a bike with that much power its very rare to lose the rear end and low side with nothing but throttle. Most of the time its 2 or 3 things that happen at once to cause a wreck.

Interesting topic kawadude. A lot of riders will have some experience to share on this one for sure!

Sounds like you've got a good idea on what happened. Certainly from the info you've given, it checks out. Big lean, too much gas, rear end low side.

Fajita Dave's point in his last post about changing lean and adding gas together is a good one too. This would have definately contributed if it was the case. Particularly as you say you were running wide. Is it possible you made a small steering input in the middle of the turn to try and get back on line?

Yes, now that I think about it I did make a definite steering correction just upon my acceleration out of the corner. Like I said I was running wide, the turn is very tight and I did give it throttle. No wonder...Sounds like I get what the problem was. Increasing an already almost to the limit angle with gas on my 161hp 10r....I still created this thread to hear about other lowsides and what happened to cause them. I want to be more informed about them and try not to have this happen so soon again in my track riding career...thanks guys for the reply's!!!