Question About Turn 2 At The Streets Of Willow

Sof

Hi Guys,

I have a quick question about turn points and setting up the right line. Basically, I was watching the Streets of Willow Track Video in the videos section on this site, and saw that the turn point for turn 2 was in a very different position to where it was marked during the school day last weekend. I figure it was due to a different riding style and caliber of the riders, but what is really the ideal line through this section if you were going for the lap record? I'm really interested in knowing.

Thanks,

Sof

Interesting thread. I wish I was qualified to answer this!

Thanks Lyle. Hopefully, some day, we'll both be qualified. They lay those x's down in those particular spots for a reason. I have an inkling as to the reason it is different in this case, but I really want to know for sure so I can improve my lines and corner speed. Sometimes what I perceive to be the right line in my mind, isn't always the fastest line in reality. OK, almost always I get it wrong, but I practice a lot with this playing my MotoGP video game. One advantage of the game is that you can turn the "ideal" line "on" so that it is visible when you play, but sometimes I find I can get a bit more out of a corner by using the line as a reference and pushing the limits of the track on either side of the line. It would be pretty cool to connect the x's on the track with an arc so as to understand better how each corner connects to the next one. Hence, it would be wonderful to have the ideal/racing line drawn on the track instead of what I think it might be.

This video was taken at one of our race schools: we have and use more than one mark on the track at these schools, there is an exercise where we run different lines. In the first lap, both Leon and Will (riding the camera bike) are going around another rider, not sure if that is the exact line he (Will would run).

The turn points aren't going to be ideally placed for every single rider, all the different skill levels. We do try and set one that will work over a broad spectrum, but in some cases it's a little deep for the super fast, lap record speed guys.

Best,

CF

Awesome Cobie. That is very helpful. It puts the video lap into perspective a lot better.

Turn points is a real subject, the coaches talk about them all the time: is it the one they would use, would it be good to demonstrate what we are going for in the exercise, etc.

Turn points is a real subject, the coaches talk about them all the time: is it the one they would use, would it be good to demonstrate what we are going for in the exercise, etc.

Hmm, I didn't realize. That's really cool to have more understanding about the turn points. I'd really like to hear that discussion between the coaches. I imagine that a deeper turn point might help more in the quick turn drill and a more shallow point might help in the hook turn scenario? I guess you have to find a happy compromise because you only draw them on the track once a day right?

I had so much to think about on the track in my last school day that I only really tried to hit the points on the last session. That was actually my last session exercise, but it noticed that having a better line helped every other technique I was improving at the same time. Really cool stuff. Before I started learning any of these techniques, I was only ever thinking about my line!

I find with a consistent turn point, and one that doesn't get changed, keeps my turns more consistent. Keith goes into detail on all the things that can change if the turn point is changed in Twist 2, pretty interesting.

CF