Foot Position

Yes, this has HUGE advantages.

First off, your leverage is about 10x when you have the peg on the arch/middle of the foot versus the ball of the foot.

Second, if you have a big hoof like me (US 12), you will twist your outside foot and drag your heel on the tire chewing through your boot (cost me a set of alpinestars one weekend).

It's a lot of shifting around for "inside ball - outside arch", but like anything, you get used to it.

I'm not sure there is any big advantage one way or the other. I ride with the balls of my feet on the foot pegs pretty much all the time.

Recently I injured my ankle left ankle and had to start riding with the foot peg in the arch of that foot in right hand corners just to try to relieve some of the pain. I found I had to think about it too much and now that my ankle feels better I ride on the balls of my feet again.

I know some guys, like Will, switch their feet from ball to arch but for me it's just one more thing to think about and I don't see a big advantage to it. If switching your feet comes natural to you, cool, but ti don't think there is much to be gained by doing it if you don't already.

Just my 2 cents.

Stu

I'd have to call BS on the leverage thing. The arch of your foot is much less solid than the ball (muscle Vs. bone). Most all leg based athletic manuevers get their power from the big toe, not the arch.

If it's more relaxed and comfy, then OK, but It's just a style/comfort issue, not a leverage one.

Okay, I'll agree that bone is stronger than muscle, but will still argue that you have more availble force in the arch than you do on the ball. How can this be?!? Simple concept of leverage. The foot is a hinged object on your leg. The further away from that "hinge" (read ankle) you get, the less force is available to apply.

This is a fact which really can't be argued...

If you can't subscribe to it, take 2 pieces of wood. bolt them together nice and solid in an L shape. Make two of these. Take one and place the end tip of the L on a solid surface, and take the other and place the heel of the L on the solid surface. Start applying pressure or adding weight. Tell me which one breaks first...

I'd have to call BS on the leverage thing. The arch of your foot is much less solid than the ball (muscle Vs. bone). Most all leg based athletic manuevers get their power from the big toe, not the arch.

If it's more relaxed and comfy, then OK, but It's just a style/comfort issue, not a leverage one.

I agree with you, it's not a matter of leverage but personal preference and comfort.

Take a look at the on-board footage from Valencia's race last year behind Rossi. From Gibernau's camera you get a great shot at Rossi's form and body position and you'll notice that he rides with his outside foot's arch on the peg.

It's all a matter of preference, I believe.

I think the difference is that GP bikes and most superbikes have adjustable footpegs. The whole bike is setup so the rider has to do very little to lock himself into the bike. This is very unlike the typical stock setup on a bike or even a bike with non-adjustable rearsets where even a 6 footer like me has to raise his knee an inch or two to lock into the tank.

If you can lock yourself into the bike without having to use you calf muscle then do it. Using fewer muscles means you're using less energy and have one less thing to put your attention on.

maybe I'm the one screwed up but if I put the ball of my foot on the peg the shift/rear brake levers are an inch an a half in front of my boot. To shift or brake I have to slide the boot forward to the heal grove.

are the race setups made so that you can shift or brake from the ball of your foot? wouldn't the shortened levers steal away some of that leverage?

I'm quite small so I really use the footpegs to get as much leverage as possible so I can haul the bike around.

I find I get alot more leverage using the arch (close to the heel) of my foot rather than the ball.

I also find I can lock my outside leg into the bike more with that technique.